What's Wrong? (Trenton)

Something is wrong with Kai

I don't know what, but I know that something isn't right.

Over the few days Roni and I have known Kai, he'd begun to relax around us and, though he isn't very open, he has opened up to us in small ways. For starters, how he had shown us that beautifully genuine smile he wore when I returned his sketchbook the day before yesterday. I was quite taken aback to see that gorgeous smile of his because Kai usually wears a neutral expression on his face most of the time, and the rare occasion he would smile, it never reached his eyes. But, recently his eyes would sparkle whenever that genuine smile would make an appearance.

So, why is today different?

Roni and I decided to drop by Kai's house to pick him up for school today since I could clearly see how much pain he was in yesterday when we visited him to give him his school bag. I definitely did not want Kai walking to school in the state he is in currently. That would've definitely made his pain worse.

When Kai walked out of his front door this morning, I was expecting his unforgettable genuine smile, the one that makes his eyes gleam as they do, but instead I received a small forced smile that didn't reach his beautiful green orbs at all. Why is that?

I thought maybe the iced coffee I picked out for him from the coffee shop Roni and I always go to on our way to school would've lifted his spirits. I was pleased to see that he in fact did like the coffee, but it only made his eyes sparkle with joy for a few seconds, then they were back to their empty glazed over gaze as Kai stared blankly out of the car window.

I want to ask Kai what happened to him to revert his once relaxed state around us back to the timid, blanked out state of mind. His shoulders are tense, his body language is turned toward the door of the car, like he wants to get out and as far away from Roni and I as possible. He wasn't acting like this yesterday, so what could have possibly happened after we left to change how he acts around us so drastically? I so desperately want to know, but I fear asking him will only make the situation worse.

He looks exhausted, too. Did he get any sleep last night? Ugh, I just want Kai to be happy and safe, two things he looks the complete opposite of right now. I feel so helpless when I look at him, how can I make him feel better? I want to help him so desperately, but how?

"Renny! Hey, are you okay?" The sound of Roni's voice brings me back to reality. I look over at her to see her wearing an expression of concern, then I turn around to look at Kai in the back seat. His body is still facing the car door, but his head is faced in my direction wearing a similar expression to Roni's.

"Huh? Oh yeah, sorry. I kind of just zoned out there for a second." I nervously chuckle, bringing up my hand to rub the back of my neck in an embarrassed manner.

"Anyway, as I was telling Kai earlier while your mind was Moon Goddess knows where, why don't we all eat together in the library today? I don't want to be surrounded by the popular crowd like we always are in the cafeteria, Ren." Roni explains, glancing in my direction for a split second before turning her gaze back to the road ahead.