Humanphobic? (Trenton)

Standing in front of the Alpha's office door, I take a long, deep breath through my nose and out my mouth as an attempt to settle my nerves

Standing in front of the Alpha's office door, I take a long, deep breath through my nose and out my mouth as an attempt to settle my nerves. It doesn't work.

I had left school early today to, for one, get my mind off how worried I am about Kai, and two, to finally speak to my father about my mate. I know him, I know he won't care whether my mate is human, male, or a freaking starfish for crying out loud! Yet here I am, my stomach in a raged turmoil.

Raising a shaky hand to the oak door, I gingerly knock four times before relaxing my arm by my side once again. After only a few seconds, I get a response.

"Come on in, Trenton." My father's gruff voice can be heard beyond the door. He has long since memorized my scent by now.

I tenderly open the door and peer my head slowly inside, peeking into the crowded space that is my father's office. Let's just say my dad is not the most organized wolf here.

"Hey, Dad. Are you busy right now?" I ask tentatively, a small part of me hoping he is so I can postpone this conversation for longer.

"No, Son. I'll always make time for you. What do you need?"

Sigh...

"Well..." I start, walking into the office and taking a seat opposite my father, setting my elbows on the desk, resting my chin in my left palm, "I may or may not have... met my mate..."

I was expecting my father's eyes to pop out of his head while his jaw hits the floor after hearing this news. What I did not expect, however, was the reaction I received.

"Ah... well, I kind of figured that one out already, my boy." My father replies, a smirk playing on his lips.

Now I sit here, across from my father's smirking face, with my eyes popping out of my head and jaw touching the carpeted floor below us.

"You... what? How do you...?" I trail off, scratching the back of my head in a measly attempt to figure out how my father already knows about the mate I never mentioned to anyone other than Roni.

"Did Roni tell you?" I decide to voice my thoughts.

"Ren! You underestimate me. I was your age once." My father starts, a gleam in his eye as he recalls his younger years, I assume.

"When I first laid my eyes on Tully, my whole world changed for the better. She became my world. I was so shocked that I could be so lucky to have her as a mate that she had to approach me first. You know what the first thing she said to me was?"

My father rarely speaks of Mom. I know it hurts to speak of her when she isn't here to hit us upside the head or pinch our cheeks in that loving mother way she always did whenever we complimented her. She was easily flustered.

"What did she say, Dad?"

"She said 'You're my mate? I'm expecting a full three course dinner and you're paying if you want me to give you the time of day.' Ha... she was something else." He chuckles.