Yellow Eyes (Both)

Taking in Kai's sleeping features, I can't help myself as I reach over and push his curly hair behind his left ear, only to discover a cherry blossom tattoo that looks a lot like mine

I'll ask him about that later.

Settling Kai on the couch, I checked on him one last time to make sure he's still wearing that same peaceful expression he had on his precious face while he was sleeping in my lap. I don't want to have to leave him, but I need to check on Roni, especially after what Kai told me before finally drifting off into some much needed rest.

Derek is her mate.

I have to make sure he doesn't experience something like that episode ever again. Not only did it scare the shit out of Kai, but it also scared the shit out of me, too.

Taking a deep breath to calm my frayed nerves, I wrap Kai up in a cozy blanket before finally leaving my father's office, heading straight for the pack doctor.

On the walk there, I can't help but think about all that Kai has gone through the past 17 years of his life. He's a recurring thought, or should I say a 24/7 thought?

All I know is that Kai is my everything and I will do anything in my power to keep him happy.

Shaking my head to clear my thoughts, my eyes grow wide at the sight of a perfectly conscious Roni blushing at something Derek said. Ew . . .

Well, definitely not wanting to interrupt that conversation, I look around for Prue, the new pack doctor according to my father's text message that I received a couple of hours ago. Spotting her, I walk over and grab her attention.

"Prue! Hey, how're Roni's injuries?" I ask her, a different kind of light shining through her bright eyes. She's never looked this happy.

"Trenton! No need to worry about your cousin, Roni is a tough one. She's doing well! Her injuries are pretty bad, but she's already begun the healing process and should be able to go back to normal in less than a month."

A sigh of relief left me as my shoulders sagged at the news, a weight being lifted off my shoulders. Thank goodness.

"That's great, thank you so much, Prue." I smile brightly at her, I'm honestly so happy that Prue has been here for all of us. Even if it hasn't been for long, Prue has already become a huge part of the family.

"How is Kai?" The concern in Prue's voice catches me off guard, seeing as she was the happiest I've ever seen her less than thirty seconds ago.

"Resting." My voice comes out heavy, no doubt giving away the worry that's settled in the pit of my stomach since finding Kai on the floor of the hallway, screaming for Kelly and begging to die in her place. A shudder runs down my spine just thinking about it.

"That's good. I wanted to talk to you, I have some really good news." and just like that, the sparkle in Prue's eyes returns faster than I can blink.