Epilogue | Finally Happy (Kai)

Therapy

Therapy.

Never in my 17—well, I guess 18 now—years of life would I have ever imagined I'd be lucky enough to attend therapy.

Turns out I've been diagnosed with PTSD and generalized anxiety. Typically, news like that would have scared me, but with the support of my family and therapist, it only took me a couple days before I was back to just being happy with how my life has been going.

Although today is my 18th birthday, I had a session scheduled that I knew I couldn't pass up because my therapist is like a breath of fresh air to me when she helps analyze my thoughts. We had just said our goodbyes when I walk out of the therapist's office to see Ren standing in the lobby, a smile crossing his face as he catches my gaze.

"Love, how was your session?" he smiles so brightly when he sees me, it's almost like it's the first time every time.

"Good." I squeak, slightly embarrassed for reasons unbeknownst to me.

"I'm glad. Come on, let's go, Roni and Derek are waiting for us in the Jeep outside.

I smile at that.

Although Derek and I didn't have very good impressions of each other at first—he was one of my bullies after all—I now look forward to seeing him. We've gotten relatively close after everything came out about Jake.

Jake . . .

My blood runs cold just thinking about him, but it doesn't last as long as it used to, not with Trenton by my side.

Hopping in the back seat with Trenton, I say my greetings to the other two in the front.

"Kai! How'd it go?" Roni greets me in return, cheerful as always. I'm surprised at how quick her injuries healed, it has only been two months since everything happened after all.

"It was good." I say shyly.

Today is April 28th, my birthday. No one has wished me a happy birthday, yet, but I really don't mind. To be honest, I would have forgotten myself if it weren't for the reminder I set on my phone a couple years ago. I only set it because I wanted to prepare myself for whatever surprise Kelly had in store for me, her birthday surprises were always the best. After she passed, I just couldn't bring myself to remove the reminder, seeing as just the little notification made me smile thinking of Kelly.

It isn't long before we pull up to the pack house. I can't believe I'm even still living here, I've never been so happy to be ignored by my foster family than I have been these past two months. It's like they completely forgot I existed. Though, the nagging worry in the back of my head that they'll some day notice has never left.

"Come on, Kai, there's something you need to see!" Roni cheers excitedly, jumping out of the Jeep and running toward the pack house.

Confused, I look over at Ren only to find him lovingly shaking his head at Roni. I can't help the giggle that escapes my lips at his expression.