WHAT?! (Trenton)

"-nton

"-nton. Trenton!"

I snap my head up at the sound of my name, taking in my surroundings. I'm still sitting in the pack doctor's office on one of the uncomfortable beds they have. My blue gaze connects with my father's equally as oceanic stare, taking in the look of concern in his expression.

"Huh?" I sputter, unsure of what we were talking about. It was only half an hour ago my father, and his Beta Timmy, came into the pack doctor's office to discuss what happened earlier today with Brett Lockman. I, being concerned about what Roni could be planning, zoned out almost immediately after the two started discussing Brett's punishment. After that, I have no clue regarding what Timmy and Dad were talking about.

"Trent, son, are you alright?" My father asks, looking into my eyes, his own filled with worry.

"Yeah, sorry. I was just . . . thinking. What were you saying?" I respond, rubbing the nape of my neck. This is awkward.

"We're discussing what we should do with Brett. Give him another chance, or kick him out of the pack? What are your thoughts, Bud?" Timmy chimes in, smiling reassuringly at me. Timmy is Roni's father and my uncle. My dad and him have always been close—they are only a year and a half apart in age, after all.

"Hm . . . if Brett is willing to change his views, then I don't see any reason to kick him out of the pack. If he won't do that for this pack, then I don't want to see him. Just the thought of seeing him again anytime soon isn't very pleasant—considering he insulted my mate—but if he's willing to change, then I can give him the benefit of the doubt." I voice my thoughts, genuinely hoping for Brett to change. I know how much he means to my dad.

"We'll talk to him, Son. On that note, Timmy and I should head out. We need to . . . discuss a few things. We haven't found a pack doctor, yet, but I have some wolves looking for one as we speak. Just wait here, alright? We'll have someone in to take a look at you shortly. Love you, Boy." My dad says, patting my left shoulder, mindful of how my right hand is probably very broken.

Before I can respond to Dad, I catch the all too familiar scent of my mate. Completely putting this discussion on the back burner, I jerk my head toward the door, awaiting Kai's entry.

Thirty seconds later, my red headed mate peeks through the door, looking around the room before his green eyes meet my blue ones. Kai widens his eyes in a look of shock mixed with horror as he sees what I assume to be the bruise on the left side of my face, as well as my oddly angled hand.

Kai's reaction is very unexpected as he opens the pack doctor's office door rather aggressively, and quickly makes his way over to me. I can't help but notice the fresh bruise forming on his own face and my expression turns to one of concern. I look passed Kai—who is making his way over to me—to see Roni looking rather distraught. I give her a questioning glance and she returns it with a dismissing shake of her head, mouthing "Later." Nodding my head at her silent affirmation to explain further at a later time, I return my attention on Kai.