Prue's First Mate (Kai)

Sigh

Sigh . . .

I've been sitting in this stupid pack doctor's office for about 15 minutes now. I know that Prue and Trenton care for me and all, but I would have thought if someone was having a conversation that concerned me, I would be a part of it.

Well, apparently not.

My fiftieth sigh of the day gets cut off by the sound of the pack doctor's office door creaking open. I look over at the cause of the noise to see Roni fearfully glancing into the room. She's scared . . . good.

"Where are Renny and Mrs. Miller?" Roni asks, hesitantly entering the room without looking into my eyes.

"Prue and Trenton are talking privately. Want to know why?" I say, narrowing my eyes in her direction.

Roni coughs awkwardly and averts her gaze. I would be lying if I said seeing her this way wasn't amusing. She's usually very confident in herself, so seeing her acting so hesitant is new to me.

"Listen, Kai. I was ju—" Roni starts, but I cut her off before she can finish her sentence.

"I know, Roni. I know why you told them, I'm just upset with them. I'm sorry. I just . . . I wish they would just talk to me instead of speaking about me when I'm not around, you know?"

"Phew! Uh . . . I mean, yeah. I understand." Roni coughs yet again. She isn't doing a very good job hiding the relief she feels at my statement.

Just as I'm about to respond with something snarky, Roni and I hear sounds coming from outside the door.

"How is that even possible?" What sounds like Trenton's voice can be heard through the thick wood.

I look over at Roni with a questioning gaze, only to see she wears the same expression.

"What's going on?" I ask, hoping that Roni might have some idea of what's happening.

"I could ask you the same thing . . ." Roni trails off, walking over to the door and opening it slowly.

I get up from my spot in the chair I've been sitting in to walk over and stand next to Roni, looking out into the hallway to see Trenton, Prue, and a man that looks a lot like Trenton, but I don't think I've met him before.

I'm only more confused when I see the looks of shock on all three of their faces.

"Um . . . is everything okay?" Roni breaks the ice.

"Uh . . . I—I'm not sure." Trenton responds, eyeing Prue and the older lookalike of him.

"Dad? How is this possible?" Trenton asks the man. Ah, that makes sense. That man is Trenton's father.

"Well . . . I have heard of second—um . . . of wolves having a second mate, but I thought it was only myths." Trenton's father replies, attempting to remove his gaze from Prue, but—for whatever reason—failing miserably.