chapter forty two

chapter forty two - july, 1985

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

While Joyce and Will were talking to each other, Hopper and Eleven were a few feet away and then Alex was a few feet away from them with Jesse and Isabella on each side of her.

"How are you feeling?" Isabella asked, holding Alex's hand.

"My battery's low, but, it will recharge," Alex said as Jesse nodded.

"I know it will," he said as she smiled. "I know."

"I can do this," the blonde said, "I can fight."

"You can fight better than any of us," Jesse said, "but right now, I need you safe. This thing is after you. It's not after me. Do you understand?" Alex nodded as her eyes watered. "Hey, I need you to understand," he said as he kissed the top of his sister's head. "Okay?" he added quietly.

"Here," Isabella said, as she took out a yellow scrunchie from her pocket, "so your hair won't get in your eyes." Alex smiled as she faced her brother while Isabella put the blonde's hair into a messy, but stylish bun.

"Thanks," Alex said, turning around and hugging the blonde tightly.

"Hey," Mike said from a distance away as the three of them looked up, "we should probably go." Jesse sighed as Alex wrapped her arms around her brother tightly. Her eyes watered as she held her brother tightly.

"Please be careful," she whispered, her eyes watering as Jesse smiled.

"Always," he said, kissing the side of her head. Alex nodded and let go of her brother as a tear escaped her eye and rolled down her cheek. "Hey, we don't cry do we?" he joked as Alex shook her head, tears still falling. "Remember that song we sang at Christmas?"

"Yeah," she sniffed as Jesse smiled.

"If you're scared, "Jesse said, wiping her tears away, "sing it in your head. All your fears will go into the clouds, okay?"

"Okay," Alex said nodding as Mike walked over to her. Alex smiled at her brother and Isabella one last time, as Mike wrapped an arm around Alex's waist and helped the blonde stand up. Max hurried over and wrapped an arm around the blonde as Alex smiled at her.

"Mike?"

The three of them turned around and saw Jesse looking at Mike. "Be careful okay?" Mike nodded and smiled at him.

"You too," Mike said before the three of them walked off with Jonathon, Nancy, Lucas, Will and Eleven.

Alex was wincing in pain as she, Mike and Max walked to Nancy's car. Lucas, Will and Eleven were sitting in the backseat.

"Lexie, you're bleeding," Max said as Alex shook her head.

"Are you okay?" Mike asked as the blonde nodded.

"I'm fine," she whimpered as Max opened the trunk door for her.

"Here," the red haired said as Alex smiled at her.

"Okay," Mike said as he helped the blonde get in. She yelled in pain as her leg got caught on the door. "Are you alright?" Mike asked quickly as Alex nodded.

"Yeah," she breathed out as Mike climbed in after her.

"Here," he said as he sat in the corner. "Lay down." Alex whimpered in pain as she rested against his chest, taking a shuddering breath as she sniffed. Once everyone was in the car, Nancy turned the engine on, but the engine spluttered.