IX. Red Lipstick Kisses from a Whore

*UNEDITED

______________________________________

Stubborn Hearts:

IX.    Red Lipstick Kisses from a Whore

AMANDA

Darkness surrounded me as crickets chirped in the cool night air while I stared at the ceiling, my thoughts keeping me awake. I hate these nights where my mind didn't let me rest and made me think of every little thing and remember the littlest details of my past. My hands resting on my stomach as light footsteps passed by my dorm, shadows dancing underneath the crack of the door where light seeped in. Soft giggles were heard as some girls scurried down the corridor, probably sneaking off to other dorms.

I glanced at the bed across the room with no Cassandra in sight. Her bed still untouched. Her absence slowly brought horrid thoughts to mind. Thoughts I didn't want to conquer my well own being and track her down yet I knew where she was. Though I didn't understand why she would go through all that trouble into telling me Helena was bad news and suddenly be lip-locking with her as if she wanted Helena for herself. What I didn't understand was that Cassandra didn't like girls as much as she loves boys. Why the sudden change of gender?

Maybe I was over thinking too much and over exaggerating as well. The team won and it was a spur in the moment. Cassandra wasn't thinking when she practically made out with Helena while the rest of the team were celebrating, gloating about their victory. I bit my lower lip, whimpering silently as I tried my best to rid those ugly thoughts. Cassandra was my friend--my closest friend and the very first girl I met when I came to this school. I should just respect her decisions and if she wants to date Helena then who am I to stop her from being happy?

I closed my eyes, begging sleep to embrace me but the moment I relaxed in the covers, the door slammed open and the light exploded in the room. My eyebrows furrowed together in confusion as I squinted through the blinding light that caused my vision to blur for a moment.

"Why didn't you tell me you joined the Yearbook Club?" Cassandra's voice bounced off the walls as she trotted towards her side of the dorm, slipping out of her heels. "I had to hear it from Tiffany who kept bragging about the new project you clubbers are doing for this upcoming Friday."

She plopped herself down on her bed, tying her hair in a bun as she proceeded into changing from her skin tight black dress into her pajama shorts and a Hello Kitty shirt. She looked exhausted with her cheeks and nose red from the chilly night outside. Her ocean blue eyes hardly glanced at me as she moved about in the dorm, putting away her dress. There was a slight sheen of sweat on her forehead as guilt invaded her eyes.

Why was she guilty? What made her guilty?

"Cass...?" I sat up, staring at my roommate who quickly turned off the light and slipped into her covers, her back facing me.

I frowned as a pang of hurt hit me. She was avoiding me for a reason I didn't want to think about. My only friend in this school won't look at me. I didn't know what this felt like. To lose a friend. How can you go through that? How can someone who practically been best friends with a person who quickly just turns their back and avoid you, forgetting all the memories and laughter you shared? Was this the ending point with my friendship with this girl who has to live in the same dorm for another year until we graduate?

I sighed and laid back down, facing the wall. "Goodnight, Cassandra," I whispered and paid attention to the crickets singing in the night and the beating of my heart.