II. Unforgotten Love

*EDITED

__________________________________

Stubborn Hearts:

II.    Unforgotten Love

HELENA

 "What took you so long?" My best friend, Dani asked, giving me a strange look.

I glanced at her, slightly dazed from my confrontation with Amanda.

Amanda...

I smiled a little at the thought of her. The way I made her moan just by a touch or took her breath away when I leaned in to take her snakebite with my teeth. How I felt like kissing those lips already, pull her into my arms as if I can keep her safe from the future threat. She didn't deserve this. I didn't want to risk her life even though she was a stranger to me. But the Black Vendetta wouldn't stop until I was dead.

But it was a huge mistake. A very huge mistake which I regret deeply. I was stupid those past months before Amanda came to my rescue. I made girls fall for me and in the end, I was the last one standing without a broken heart. I didn't find girls as girlfriends, I found them as a fling. I found their kisses as gifts that I could take without giving anything back. They wanted my love but instead, they received a broken heart. I was an asshole, a dumbass who was known as the Heartbreaker in this pathetic Academy.

But soon, karma came and beat the crap out of me, literally. Melanie was a kind hearted girl and I saw her as another game. How she made me feel soft inside and forget my plans. How her kisses suddenly unraveled the tangles of my trapped heart and for the first time...I felt what everyone wishes to have: Love. But not everyone gets to grasp that feeling without entering the House of Consequences. After everyone knew about my relationship with Melanie, no one wanted the Heartbreaker to be tamed. No one wanted Melanie to have what they didn't have.

Then the rumors began to spread at the time I made a truce with the leader of the Black Vandetta...

The lies that were fed to innocent Melanie and the truth I confessed to her. How I only saw her as a game in the beginning. Making her fall in love with me and break her heart in the end but everything changed. Nothing - not even the truth - could go through the lies she listened to and after I watched, helplessly, as she ran away crying, I felt like a soulless being. Walking through the dark streets of Black Woods only to be taken from the wtinesses' view and be beaten up in the alley until my savior came.

At first, in my dazed state, I saw her as an angel. Her blond hair being blown by the cold wind, her crystal blue eyes gazing at me. I expected her to run away but she didn't. She came and now, unknowingly, put her life in danger.

"Earth to Helena? Dude!"

I glared at Dani as she smiled innocently, her turquoise Mohawk bounced whenever she moved her head. Her aqua green eyes watched me closely, expecting the inner Helena to burst out any second but I didn't allow that. Instead, I leaned back on my chair, balancing myself on the back legs as I placed my legs on top of the desk. The substitute teacher began to enlighten us about the "important facts of life”.

"I messed up," I bluntly said to Dani, looking down at my tatted hands. My finger tracing the skull ring, nervously.

"What do you mean by 'messed up'?" Dani asked, narrowing her eyes.

I shrugged a shoulder. "Not only do we have to deal with the Black Vendetta but that new transferred student crossed the line when she lied to stop them."

Suddenly, Dani slapped the back of my head.

"Hey!" I snapped at her a little too loud that stopped the teacher mid sentence. "What was that for?" I hissed at her once the teacher continued his speech.

"Are you trying to bring innocent people into our fuckin' problems, Helena?!" She hissed back, her aqua green eyes seemed darker as she leaned closer to me.

"It's not my fault that she came. I don't know why she even tried to save me in the first place!" But she did...

"Look, Helena," Dani began, jabbing her finger into my shoulder continuously. "This isn't Call of Duty where we can restart and play again. We're not shooting at imaginary people-"

"You think I don't know that!" I snapped at her through clenched teeth. "We're dealing what our parents started. In the end, only one gang can stand, Dani. It's either those stupid fuckheads or us, Phantoms."

She pursed her lips as her aqua green eyes drifted to the person in the front of the class. I followed her gaze and saw the girl I didn't want to see. Melanie gazed back at me, smiling a little before turning back. I sighed, grabbing my hair in my fists in frustration. I was hoping not to see her when I entered this school and remind me of the stupidity I've been through. The truce I broken. Nor fall for her over again especially now that the once innocent Melanie I’ve met before completely changed.

"What ever happens, dude, we got to protect that girl," Dani whispered as I kept staring at Melanie as she giggled with her friends. "I know you may have feelings for Melanie but it would never work. We're fuck ups, misfits, unwanted delinquents while she's the rival, the accomplished one, the innocent princess to this town. You would never reach her status."

I nodded, agreeing with her.

Even if I tried to make things right and be with Melanie, things would never be the same. Black Woods was a town where status was known and respected. Where the rich bastards looked down on those who were inferior, to the poor who actually work harder than them. It was a battle between the rich and the neglected in this case. The Black Vendetta vs. The Phantoms. The squares against the punks/greasers.

I may love Melanie still but as I let go of my hair and gazed at my hands, a smile crept at my lips at the memory of Amanda appeared in my mind.

"To protect the girl, someone has to be close to her," I whispered mostly to myself but Dani heard me and shook her head immediately.

"Please think something else other than that," Se murmured as she dropped her head to the desk making a loud bang as every head turned and everyone giggled especially Melanie.

I smirked down at Dani who groaned loudly, "It's the only way to protect her," I whispered as I petted the top of her Mohawk.

I drifted my gaze to Melanie and something new overcame me. My smirk disappeared and a mask fell upon my face. A cold, emotionless mask as I watched her eyes widened in shock. I knew of her plan. Destroy me emotionally and I would become weak to the eyes of the enemy. It seemed a broken heart could change a person drastically. I should feel guilty for breaking her heart but I couldn’t. Not when another girl was slowly appearing in my mind, occupying it every day.

Amanda...