Chapter 21: Lifeline

Xavier POV:

"What did you do to her?" I yell as I see my beautiful princess hunched over and sobbing. I run as quick as I can to join them amongst the flowers. The king and his followers have been imprisoned and my brother has taken his rightly place on the throne as King. I had gotten the hard part of my plan over, but now I have to find out why my right-hand man made my princess cry.

"It wasn't me! Promise!" Mick jumps up from leaning over her. Her looks like he was awkwardly trying to pat her back. I trust Mick and don't have time to deal with him. I just got my princess back and am not going to waste our time together.

Focusing on her, I realize she still hasn't acknowledged or realized my presence. My heart hurts seeing her like this. I promised myself that I would make up for our time apart and strive to keep a smile on her face, always. However, I had already failed and we still haven't even talked yet.

"Princess?"

When she looks up at me, I am blown away by her beauty. Our eyes connect and the world feels right again. I feel like I can finally breath.

"Xavier? It's you?" She starts to shake her head no, leaving me confused. Does she not want to see me? "No, no. You left. The letter, it was a trick. This, this must be a trick too."

"Princess, this is real, it's me. The letter wasn't a trick. None of the should have happened. I never should have left and you were never supposed to be sent away to those horrible people. Since I found out what that man did to you, I've been fighting to get you back. I am so sorry princess. I know nothing can undo what has happened, but I hope you will let me make it up to you."

Hesitantly, I kneel down and reach my hand out to her. She stares at it for a minute and then up to me. Instead of grabbing my outstretched hand, she starts to cry again.

"It's okay. Please stop crying. You don't have to forgive me. But you are free now. You do not have to go back with them, or stay here at the castle. I won't bother you. I just want you to be happy."

"No!" I am shocked by her outburst. She must realize  my surprise, because her face quickly calms from its state of panic. "I mean no I don't want you not to bother me. Wait, that doesn't really make sense. I want you to bother me! There is nothing to forgive! I thought you forgot about me. That you chose to leave me. This is just getting confusing. What I am trying to say is the only way I can be happy, is if I am with you."

Before I even know what is happening, she is squeezing me like a lifeline. I quickly hug her back just as hard, because she is my lifeline.

"I love you so much." She answers with a shocked gasp.