Chapter 7: Sick To My Stomach

I have only been working as a maid here at the castle for two weeks, but I am already in trouble

I have only been working as a maid here at the castle for two weeks, but I am already in trouble. I did not even have time to tell my mother, before I was told the King had demanded my presence. The King has asked to speak with me in his throne room. When Xavier was still here, he rarely spoke of the dreaded throne room. This is the room he would tell me to stay away from. He was always so protective of me, especially if it had anything to do with his father. But now, he's not here to protect me. Maybe that's why he left, he just got tired of always having to watch over me. If only I was not so weak, maybe he would still be here. I wish he would have just told me he did not want me around anymore. Every time I see the Queen, I feel so guilty. I am the reason he left and they do not get to seem him everyday. I know how horrible a life without Xavier is, and I cannot stomach that it's my fault he is not in theirs.

Once I get to the threatening door of the throne room, I almost throw up. I think the two guards on the side of the doors noticed my fear and hesitation, because they knocked for me while sending me sympathetic smiles. Real reassuring guys.

"Enter." The voice of the King sends chills through my whole body. The guards slowly open the door as I take a much needed deep breath. I really wish my mama was here with me. "Well, Roselyn how lovely of you to meet with me." The way he says this makes it seem like it was my choice to be here. Trust me, if I had a choice, I would be safely tucked away in my bed while my mama petted my hair and whispered soothing words to me.

"Your Highness." I bowed low on my wobbly legs.

"Do not look so nervous dear Rose. I have a great opportunity for you." He begins. Something about his smile does not feel right to me. It reminds me of the one Raymond wears when he explains what I need to change in order to continue being his friend. "You are going to be moving."

That was not what I was expecting.

"A friend of mine is in need of some... let's just say help. His son is in need of a personal maid, and I thought you would be perfect for the job." I never even knew the King realized I existed. "You and your mother will both be leaving. I have arranged for her to work in a neighboring estate as a maid."

"But, our life is here." I did not even realize I had let out my thoughts, until I heard it echoing in my brain. "I... I mean that is a very kind offer Your Highness, but I do not think my mother will approve." What about our house? What about Mr. Larson and Ms. Judy? Mama will live in a different estate? Would we not be together? All these thoughts swarming through my head was making it hard to breath.

"Hate to break it to you girl, oh wait no I don't." He laughed. "You do not have much of a choice here. You will go and work for the Witmens! You will do anything they ask you to do! Your mother will be leaving to work elsewhere! You will not complain or try to fight this! I am your King!" His eyes were blazing, but he took a deep breath and continued with a mocking voice, "you do not want to continue to be a burden to your mother, do you? She has had to put up with so much because of you. Can't you do this one thing. You are almost an adult, is it not time to give your mother a break? Do you think she likes having to take care of you all the time? Just think about your father, you became too much for him. And let's not forget about Xavier."

His words were like a sword slicing through my heart, while a hammer continuously bangs into my soul. Mentioning Xavier was just an added cherry on top of my broken self. Was I really that much of a burden? I cannot believe mother would feel this way. Her heart was too big, she would never admit that I was holding her back. Our life has always been so hard, but we loved each other. The King was right. I needed to take care of her for once. I had to stop being selfish. So, with that thought, I gave the King a somber nod.

"Terrific! I'm glad your not as stupid as you seem. This is going to be for the best, you will see. And if it's not... well that's not my problem." All I could hear as I staggered out of the room was the King's roaring laughter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hurry dear, we don't have much time." My mama shouted as she boxed up the last of our lives. The King had sent a guard with me to inform my mother that we had five hours to pack our lives and be gone, or else. Not wanting to find out what 'or else' entails, we started right away. I tried to explain everything to her as we packed, but their was too much. By the time that we got everything packed up and informed a "King approved" version of what was happening to Mr. Larson, who expressed his sorrow and promised to let Ms. Judy and everyone else know what was happening, we were both hysterically crying. As rude as it sounds, I know I'm not going to miss Raymond too much. I guess that just proves how horrible of a friend I am.

"It's time." The guard who has been helping, more like verifying we were leaving, let me know. We were waiting in front of the castle for my mother, who had to run in and grab some last minute things she left in the kitchen.

"Just one more minute, I am sure she is on her way." Just then, my mama came running down the castle steps, followed by a shouting Queen Amber. I couldn't here what she was yelling, but it seemed to be out of concern and not anger. Right as my mama opened the door, crying out a heart filled sorry to the Queen, another carriage came rolling in behind us. Our carriage had already started to peel our, when I turned to look out the window and saw two men getting out of the other carriage. Looking confused by the scene they had just partially witness.

There he was. The man who my brain has not stopping thinking about sense I first layer eyes on him. Why was he here after all this time? Of course! Now it all makes sense. They are clearing me out, so Xavier can return home without feeling uncomfortable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
End of Chapter 7!!
Word Count: 1197
🌹