Chapter 9: Life With The Witmens

I hated it here

I hated it here. Life with the Witmens was incredible hard. The King's guard dropped us off one month ago and I haven't seen my mother since then.  Thankfully, the Witmens allow my mama and I to write letters to each other. I do not think I would make it, if I did not at least know my mother was safe.

It turns out the Witmen's son needed a new maid because he was a monster. I do not usually throw around rude terms like that, but that man is incredibly rude. Usually not towards me too much, but he treats all the other workers like trash. His name is Logan, but Mr. Witmen told me to call him sir. Mr. Witmen was a short, buff man. The only emotions I have ever seen in his brown eyes, besides his usual somberness, are anger and annoyance. Even towards his wife and son he does not show any other emotion. On my first day, after Mr. Witmen went through all the rules he had for me, I was introduced to Logan.

"Well hello." Logan drawled out while he looked me over. Logan has long blond hair that fell to his shoulders. He looked to be pretty tall and fit, around the same height Xavier was the last time I saw him. His bright hazel eyes looked at me with curiosity. "Who did you bring for me father?"  His words confused me, but my earlier training with Mr. Witmen taught me to not question anything they say.

"My name is Roselyn. I am to be your new maid, sir." I said as I dipped into a deep curtsy, just the way Mr. Witmen told me to.

"Roselyn." The way he said my name made me feel uncomfortable, but I made sure it didn't show. "There's no need for the formalities, just call me Logan." I quickly looked back at Mr. Witmen to see if this was some sort of test, but he was too focused talking to another man to hear what Logan and I were saying.

"Of course sir... I mean Logan." His eyes grew large with excitement at my words. Something in his eyes reminded me of Raymond. But a clearing of a throat cause me to quickly return my eyes to the floor.

"What did you just say?" Before I even realized what was going on, Mr. Witmen was dragging me out of the room by my arm with a bruising grip. I looked behind me at a smiling Logan. I couldn't be sure, but I feel like he knew what was about to happen to me. "Are you incompetente or do you just like getting punished? Is this why the King was so quick to send you over?" I started to shake from his words and the furious look in his eyes.

I got a bit of hope when he released his painful grip on my arm, but that was quickly replaced with fear. One of his large hands griped a fistful of my hair and pulled me so that my face was looking up at him. But I quickly forgot about the aching in my head his grip was causing, when I saw his other hand flying straight for my face. I have never felt pain like this before. Sure, I have went through a lot of emotional pain, but nothing had prepared me for this physical pain.

That was just the start of the abuse I received, not only from Mr. Witmen, but from Logan and Mrs. Witmen. However, Logan never really physically abused me. Instead, he loved to abuse me mentally. I made sure to hide any signs of the abuse when the Witmens had guests and in my letter to my mother. I knew many of the other workers were also being abused, but all of us were too scared to say anything or fight back. I just had to keep praying everyday for a miracle to save us all.

~~~~~~~

"Okay, we can try this one more sentence, but then I have to get back to work." I said to Oliver, a little boy whose mother, Liv, worked at the Witmen's estate as a maid like me. I met Liv during my first week here when I ran into a lost Oliver. I helped him find Liv and we soon became best friends. Whenever she was working and I was free, I would take care of Oliver. Oliver's father, William, is a Duke, whose father was friends with Mr. Witmen. William and Liv had a secret relationship the year he came to stay with the Witmens. However, once his father found out, he forced William to return home. William refused at first, but when his father started to threaten Liv, he left. Liv did not know about Oliver, until William had already gone.

"The lady said to the drag..gg," Oliver struggled.

"It's okay buddy, just try and sound it out." I loved being able to teach Oliver. It reminded me of home and Mr. Larson. Meeting Liv and Oliver has been the best thing to happen to me since I arrived at the Witmens. They are all I write about in my letters to my mama.

"Dragon." Oliver was finally able to get out. I was so proud of him, for being only four he is very intelligent. Most days he has to stay by himself in the room Liv and I share, until one of us can join him, so he spends most of his time reading. Even though the Witmens knew Liv was pregnant, they never gave her time with him. So, from the day he was born, Liv has had to juggle watching him and doing her work. When we first met, Oliver could hardly speak. Liv did not have much time to spend with him, but she always tried her hardest to give him the best life she could. Her own parents died when she was only ten, so she came to work for the Witmens. Living here for the past eleven years as a maid is they only life she has ever known. Even before she came here, her parents were poor, so she could not afford schooling. Now more than ever, I am so thankful for Mr. Larson, so that I can teach Oliver all I know.

"Rose! What are you still doing in here?" Liv comes frantically running into our room, which is just a little bigger than a closet with two twin size beds pushed into each corner. There is a small self were we store all our things. Most of my things went with my mother, but I took some clothes, a few books, and a small box filled with my memories with Xavier. The box contains a necklace he gave me for my tenth birthday, a few letters he wrote to me when we were younger, and a few sketches of his he gave me. He never liked anyone knowing but he was incredibly artistic. "Rose are you listening? I am sorry for yelling, but this is serious. You are supposed to be in Logan's room by now." Liv's worry filled voice brought me out of my thoughts. Once what she said registered in my brain, I sprung up.

"Oh no!!! I have to go." I raced towards the door, but turned around not forgetting to tell Oliver goodbye. "You did so good reading today little guy. I love you and I will be back soon." He looked up and gave me one of his adorable smiles. His green eyes lighting up with happiness now that his mother was back. They both had matching green eyes and tan skin, but while Liv has dirty blond hair, Oliver has curly brown hair. He is the most adorable baby I have ever seen.

I rushed as quickly as I could to Logan's room. I knew I was going to be in trouble for waking him up from his midday nap late, but I would never regret time I spent with Oliver. I can only hope Logan does not tell his father, so my beating won't be too bad.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
End of Chapter 9!!
Word Count: 1355
🌹