Chapter 4: How Hard Could It Be?

From the moment I called Roslyn my Princess we were inseparable

From the moment I called Roslyn my Princess we were inseparable. If she wanted to go for a walk in the garden, I would go with her. If I had to sit through a boring lesson with Madam Bloom, she would sit through it with me. If she wanted to help her mother bake in the kitchen, I would happily sit, watch, sometimes help, but mostly just eat. No matter what we were doing, we did it together

One of my favorite memory with her was when I showed her the stables for the first time. I was eleven, while she was eight. She was so excited I thought she was going to pass out. I was more excited though. After some long talking with my brother, who told me if you like someone you have to kiss them. He also went on to tell me I was a baby for not realizing it sooner and I needed to just man up. He also made it very clear to me that I was a looser for only having one friend, who on top of that was a girl. He obviously did not know Roselyn well or else he would be jealous that she is my friend, not his. Choosing to ignore most of what Xander said, I only focus on the kissing part. I had finally decided today was that day. I was going to kiss my little Rose.

This decision did not come easy to me. All night I had been debating if I should do it. And if I did do it, when would I do it? And if I found when I would do it, where would I do it? All this thinking almost broke my brain. However, what I had the most trouble with was thinking about how to do it. I could not exactly go up to my mom and ask how you are supposed to kiss, that would just be too embarrassing. My father was out, because he would not care enough to let me even ask him. He would just wonder why I am wasting my time and not training. Next, I thought I could go to Xander, but I knew he would just make fun of me again, which would lead to us fighting. And us fighting would lead to me punching him, which would then lead to my mother grounding me. And if I was grounded, then I would not be able to spend the day with Roselyn. And if I was not able to spend the day with her, I wouldn't be able to kiss her. After thinking about every possibility, I realized I would just have to rely on instincts. I figured that since I am awesome at everything, I should be just naturally good at kissing too. How hard could it be?

~     ~     ~

It was hard. Very, very hard.

Once we got to the stables and I had shown her all the horses, I thought we would just go sit outside near this sunflower patch and I could kiss her then. But no, she had to pet each and every horse. There were sixty-three of them! On top of that, one of the stable boys son came and asked if he could play with us! He wanted to play with my Roselyn! Roselyn is only my princess. She does not need anymore friends, she has me. The audacity of this kid is insane. Did he not know who I was?

Right when I was about to send him packing, my little Rose decided to all of a sudden speak to strangers. She never talks to people she does not know! Not even Xander, who she has meet on a few occasions. The only people she talks to is her mother, my mother, Mr. Larson, Ms. Judy, and me. However, this loser just had to walk up and ask to play with us to get her to speak with him.