Chapter 2: You Are Not A Prince

Out of all my memories with my little Rose, one of my favorite has to be when she found out I was the Prince of Zander

Out of all my memories with my little Rose, one of my favorite has to be when she found out I was the Prince of Zander. I am used to people treating me differently because of my royalty, but Roselyn's reaction caught me by surprise.

"What do you mean? You mother can't own the garden. It's Queen Amber's garden." Roselyn tries to explain to me. The look on her face is a mixture of determination and confusion.

"My mother is Queen Amber." I stated, trying hard not to laugh.

"No you can't be Queen Amber's son, cause your not a prince." Her statement left me very confused. Why could I not be a prince? I am a prince!

"And why can't I be a price?" I voiced my question.

"Well silly, you can't be a prince because princes have princesses that they save." Hearing her giggle at the end, made my heart swoon. Her big doe eyes stared up at me. She is just so cute.

When did I start saying words like cute? I have known this girl for only a couple minutes and I am already turning weak. My father would be so disappointed in me. Xander and I have been raised very strictly; however, he has a more jokester side to him. As the second in line to the thrown, I will be in charge of the military aspect in Zander. For some reason, my father has always been harder on me, than Xander. I know how serious being in charge of the military is, but I don't get why we get treated differently.

"Well I guess I'll just have to get a princess to prove myself." I felt a smile growing on my face. It felt strange, I usually only smile when I am around my mom. Even though I am only nine, I am very serious.

"If you wanted I could be your princess!" My little rose started to get nervous as she offered this. Her chubby cheeks bloomed with color. "I mean, only if you wanted me to be your princess. My mama works here, so I'm here all the time. We could play sometimes and you could save me then. You know because if I was your princess, you would have to save me and stuff to be like the stories."

Her rambling made me laugh, but the face she made after made me regret it.

"Oh I'm sorry, your right, it was a stupid idea. I think I should just go back in now. Mama probably wouldn't want me talking with a prince anyway. It was nice to meet you Prince Xavier. Sorry for running into you and wasting your time." She mumbled out quickly, before turning around and make her way towards the kitchens.

"Wait!" I shouter after her, but she was already gone.

"Wait!" I heard Xavier yelling after me.

I can not believe that I just did that. How more embarrassing can I be? I do not know what the feeling that I have when I am with him, but I ruined the chance of ever finding out. If I would of just been normal, I could of had my first friend. In all my six years of life, I have not really talked to many people. The only people I do talk to are my mama, Mr. Larson, and Ms. Judy.

Mr. Larson is are neighbor, who also owns a bookstore. Mama lets me go over to his house on the weekends and he teaches me. He says I'm very smart for my age and can read circles around most his customers. I don't really know why I would want to read in circles around other people, but maybe it's a thing grownups do. My mama and I do not have much money, so we can not afford to send me to school. Many people in our village do not have enough money to pay for schooling. That is why mama says to thank Mr. Larson every visit.

Ms. Judy is a friend of my mothers. She also works at the castle, but she works as a maid. Sometimes when I get board reading in the kitchen while I wait for my mom, I go help Ms. Judy with her chores for the day.

As I was running into the back door that leads to the kitchen, it was thrown open. A older woman, who reminded me of a crow, walked out. She looked down at me with her cat like eyes and scoffed.

"We really do need to do something about the gates. She may just be one little girl, but soon all the poor, disgusting children will come lining up by our doors." She turns a the person I had not noticed yet. I couldn't make out what they looked like because they were still partially behind the door.

"Now, Ms. Bloom! You don't really mean that do you? She is just a little girl. What if she needs help?" A kind voice scolded in disbelief. The figure finally fully existed the door. "Are you alright darling? Are you lost?"

All I could do was stare up at her. I knew exactly who she was. I have seen her come into the kitchen many times while my mother was working. She's probably never noticed me, because I usually sit in the pantry. It's one of my favorite hiding places, where I read. Standing right in front of me was the queen! Not only that, she was talking to me!

"Honey, are you okay? Would you like to sit down?" She came closer and put a comforting hand on my back. "Wow, your so skinny. Ms. Bloom, why don't you go grab us some snacks, while I take my new friend here to wash up."

Now I was really freaking out. Queen Amber was touching me! She was gonna give me food! Even thought mama works in a kitchen, we do not have a lot of money to make food at home. On a good day we are able to eat two meals, but those are rare.

"Is that alright dear? How does a nice bath and a warm meal sound?" All I could do was nod. My brain still had not caught up to what was going on. What happened with Xavier, the thoughts of meeting my mama at her break, all went out the window. I was going to be eating with the Queen!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
End of Chapter Two!!!
Word Count: 1080
🌹