Chapter 11: Happy Birthday To Me

"Happy Birthday!" I wake up with a jolt as a feel something jump on me

"Happy Birthday!" I wake up with a jolt as a feel something jump on me. "Wake up! Wake up!"

Oliver's little body is flopping all over me. I slowly open my eyes to adjust to the light. His moppy hair hanging in front of his excitement filled eyes.

"Happy Birthday Rose." Liv comes over to my bed, holding a little cupcake in her hands. Her smile almost as wide as her sons. "You're seventeen!"

"Thank you guys." I am so blessed to have them in my life. "Where did you even get this? I am so thankful, but you shouldn't be spending your money on me." I point to the cupcake.

"Oh hush up. It's your birthday! We may not be able to get you much, but you will be having a cake... or as much of a cake as I can afford!" Oliver nods along with his mother. Everyday, this little man surprises me with how much he knows and understands. At times it makes me sad because of how quickly he has to grow up.

"Yah and we will even help you lick the frosting off!" And then he says things like this, and he's cute childish side comes through.

Before Liv can interject, I quickly respond. "Thank you so much! Why don't we split it into thirds, so that we can all have a little." I can see Liv trying to stop us, but Oliver is already bouncing with excitement and I am halfway to our little table area to grab a knife.

This will be only Oliver's fifth time having any sort of cake. For all of his birthdays Liv, and now me, have saved up to buy one. Liv and I both decided to only buy sweets for Oliver's birthday, so I have no idea how she was able to buy one for mine this year and am a little upset that she spent money on me. However, looking at Oliver's happy face as he savors his third of the cupcake, I can't stay mad.

~~~

"My dear Roslyn." I jump as I feel Logan come up behind me. "I hear it's your birthday. Want me to give you a present?"

Never in a million years.

Is what I would have said if I was brave enough. Instead I quickly round the desk in his room to create some distance between us. While he usually only mentally harms me, lately he has been getting a little too touchy.

"Come on now. No need to run." His haunting laughter fills the room. "I do not know what you were thinking, I was only trying to give you this."

I stared at the wrapped box in his hand with question. What could it be? Why would he get me something? It was small and wrapped with a dark red paper. More concerning than the gift, was the mischievous smile coming from the gift giver. As I study him and his gift, I notice he is wearing his usual. A expensive white shirt, made with the finest silks and his even more expensive pants. Everything he wears in a day probably costs more than I have ever earned in my life.