71| The Trials

Third person's POV

Third person's POV

Today was the day, the most momentous day in the King's household, especially for the five King brothers, who've been waiting for years, either to be accepted or rejected as the next in line for the position of Don and underboss to their respective Mafias.

It was their family's esteem, every single brother before them had gone through and passed these trials, so, the pressure on them was extremely severe.

The five of them couldn't sleep the night before the trial, their emotions were wreaking havoc, depriving them from any sleep.

The nervousness and anxiety were present but the feeling of intense rush of excitement at the prospect of finally joining the Mafia overpowered everything else.

The five of them were ready, and they couldn't wait for their test to begin. They stayed together all night, giving strength to each other through their silence.

They had been training for this day since they could remember, all of them were five years old when they were put through training starting, beginning with learning how to fight and then gradually progressing to more rigorous and more violent training.

The one thing no father of these boys have compromised was on their training.

Their cries to stop would clench their hearts leaving a pain to surge through their bodies, but instead of stopping and giving into the wailing of their kids, they would intensify it even more, to make their kids learn and grow to be the best.

The tests were divided into trials of three— the physical, the mental and finally the survival.

The first was the Physical competency, which tested their physical strength, hand-to-hand combat, use of guns, rifles, knives, and any other weapon they desired to use.

Their physical potency would be put to the test by each of them fighting with the best fighters from both Mafias, followed by sparring with one of their older brothers for at least 10 minutes without giving up.

The second was their mental competency, which would put their emotional and mental strength to the test.

A professional psychiatrist was going to challenge their emotional brain, messing with it by bringing up the darkest and most intimate of their memories.

The ones who could maintain their cool would proceed to the second part of their test, in which they would be presented with a dead end situation and their use of intelligence would be tested.

The third and final round was for survival— those who passed the first two tests would be locked in an abandoned warehouse, where they had to escape without being caught by any of their men.

Those who passed the first trial would be qualified to be Mafia members, those who passed the second trial would be ranked as top members, and those who passed the final trial would be accepted as the next in line for the positions.