Three

"I know. I just got confirmation from the doctors."

"Well if you know that Nick Fury is dead, why are we here?" I ask, my question coming out snarkier than intended.

Alexander Peirce narrows his eyes as he stares at me, I know many people would probably cower under such a cold stare, but I lock eyes with him, waiting till he turns away. He does. He walks around and sits behind the crabby looking desk, looking out of place in his pristine grey striped suit.

"We are deviating from our original plan, so tomorrow morning you will be set back off to Washington."

"Why?"

"Who is the next target?"

"I may need of your services soon, but we'll see. In the mean time rest up. Do whatever you two monsters do."

Monsters! We weren't monsters... were we?

I glance at The Winter Shoulder, who glances at me. As usual, we are escorted out by two soldiers. However, instead of leading us to our designated compound floors, they show us down the corridor to a mostly empty room. We are shoved inside, where the door is slammed shut behind us. The lock clicks, and I sigh before walking over to one of the beds. The room is bare, with two beds on opposing sides, a central table and a couple of chairs. I kick off my shoes and take the suit off, instead opting for the grey jumpsuit folded up on the bed. After laying my belongings on the edge of the bed, I grab one of the food trays and start wolfing it down, only now realising how hungry I am.

I look up from the cold meal to see Asset 01 sitting across from me, pushing the food around his plate but not really touching it. He looks up from his plate when he realises I'm staring.

"Aren't you hungry?"

"I don't eat."

"Oh, not missing much to be honest." I say as I push the empty plate away before standing up and stretching as I make my way over the dingy bed.

"Goodnight."

"Night."

The second my head hits the pillow, I am fast asleep, which is usual after a mission. Sleep overcomes me despite the harsh lighting of the room. You got used to not so very nice sleeping conditions, savouring each moment of rest we may get.

I wake up to someone banging on the door, causing me to bolt up in a panic. I calm down when I see that the only other person in the room is Asset 01, who sits on the far side of the room. I glance to the large metal door to see a pair of soldiers walk in.

"Leaving in ten minutes. Gear up."

I scramble out of bed, quickly pulling on my suit and grabbing my belongings. I scan the room once more, trying to locate my mask. I spy it down on the floor, where it must have fallen off the bed. I grab it and fit it snugly over the lower portion of my face before following the others out of the room and down to the hangar.

It was the same as the previous day. The only differences were instead of a helicopter, it was one of the larger helicarriers. And this time, the SUV on the other end had no strange man sitting inside, much to my relief. I don't exactly like people, which may come as a surprise to some... not. We still were dropped off over some random field, although, unlike last time, I could see where I would land. Once we located the SUV after trudging through grassy fields, we were driven off. The place must be further afield than last because we are in the car a lot longer than last time. The day goes by quickly, the sun dipping below the horizon line as the driver stops. We leave the vehicle to see we are on the side of a suburban-looking street. I glance at the Winter Soldier, who shrugs, so I scurry over to the driver's side door.