Fourteen

Third Person Point of View

Steve gripped the collared shirt of his friend Bucky as he moved towards the grassy bank. He scanned the water, looking for the girl he had seen hit the water moments before they did. Only a few metres away, he could see a dark figure floating in the water. Recognising the charcoal coloured suit, he kept his eyes on her warily. Not once as he splashed up the grass bank did she move. Steve laid his comatose friend down before moving towards her cautiously.

It was evident she was unconscious as her body hung suspended in the water. He reluctantly dragged her body ashore, knowing that guilt would eat him alive if he left her there. Steve fumbled around her wrist, feeling for a pulse. It was there. Weak. But she was alive, and that was good enough for him. He lifted the girl, where she flopped over his shoulder, as he made his way back over towards Bucky.

It wasn't long before Sam arrived on the banks of the grassy shore, running over to where Steve stood. "What the hell are you doing with her?"

"I can't leave her here."

"You know that she's a raging psychopathic assassin monster thing, right?"

"Back in the apartment, she was there. Bucky said she was under. I don't know what that means. All I know is I can't leave her here."

"Well where the hell are we going to go."

"I have an idea."

Sam found himself in the passenger's seat of a miniature Volkswagen beetle, with two comatose assassins in the back and Steve Rogers at the wheel. They pulled up to an old abandoned auto-mechanic garage. They dragged Bucky over to the first car vice, securing the metal arm, before moving to secure Posie Parker in the second vice.

"Do you think that'll be strong enough to hold them?"

"It's going to have to be."

They move away from the unconscious pair and towards the large roller door, peering outside. Sam moves back to check on them while Steve keeps his eye on the helicopter circling in the far distance.

"Hey Cap!" Steve moves away from the door towards Sam, who nods his head in the direction of the two vices. He walks over to see that Bucky is now awake, groaning.

Bucky looks up to see both men staring at him, "Steve?"

"Which Bucky am I talking to?"

"You're mum's name was Sarah. You used to wear newspapers in your shoes," he chuckles, remembering the memory fondly.

"Can't read that in a museum."

"Just like that, we're supposed to be cool?"

"What did I do?"

"Enough."

"Oh, God! I knew this would happen. Everything HYDRA put inside me is still there. All he had to do was say the goddamn words."

"Who was he?"

"I don't know."

"People are dead. The bombing, the setup, Posie Parker. The doctor did all that just to get ten minutes with you. I need you to do better than I don't know."

"Posie?"

Sam jerks his head sideways. Bucky looks away from Steve to see the girl is in a similar position to him. Metal arm clamped in a large vice. The difference was she was unconscious. Or so they thought.

Posie Parker sat there, head draped against her slightly raised arm, keeping her eyes tightly shut. There was an intense throbbing in her head, and she didn't want to have to deal with whatever else was happening around her.