Seventeen

I follow Steve Rogers and the others out of the prison cell and along many corridors. We move with haste as we make our way upwards. I keep to the back of the group, not wanting to mingle with them. Despite being able to leave with them, I knew I wasn't exactly a welcome member. We arrive at an aircraft hangar of sorts to find a large quinjet with the back door wide open. Inside the quinjet stood two figures. As we draw closer, I cannot recognise the woman, but I stop immediately as I realise who the man is.

The others did not notice I had fallen behind, so I quickly moved to keep up with them, eager not to be left. They climb the ramp of the aircraft and greet the pair before sitting down. I keep my head down, walking past them, moving to the seat furthest away from everyone.

The aircraft door closes, and for a moment, we are sitting in darkness before the internal lights come on. The familiar hum of the aircraft engines is a welcome sign after sitting in silence for the last few days. I can feel someone sit next to me, but I do my best to ignore whoever it is. The person coughs in a fake attempt to clear their throat. I look up to find myself staring into the eye of Nick Fury.

Not once, since I shot him, did I know that he was alive. Another failed mission. He stares at me with his only eye, waiting for me to react. "I thought you were dead. I killed you."

"Clearly not."

"Yeah, clearly not," I agree, quietly looking to the other side of the aircraft to see everyone whispering to each other.

"I have to admit, you did a pretty good job, such a shame you failed though." I look away from the others back at him, confused by what he said. "There must be a reason Steve Rogers wanted to break you out as well as the others. It's a great personal cost to help one of the people who tried to kill me."

I stay silent, mulling over his words. "He said he knew someone who could help." I pause, trying to read his face, "you know, I didn't have a choice over trying to kill you."

"I'm aware, doesn't make a difference though, does it?"

"No..." I trail off, looking down to my hands which were clasped tightly. Nick Fury stands up without another word, and I am once more sitting by myself. I lean my head back against the wall of the aircraft and sigh.

"Posie, sit with us." I look across the aircraft to see Scott waving me over. Everyone around him looks over at me. I sit there unmoving when I see both Clint and Sam nod their heads in agreeance for me to come over.

I slowly make my way over, taking a seat next to Scott, unsure what is happening. My hands are balled into tight fists as my eyes flick over everyone else. Wanda Maximoff, who sits across from me, gives me a small smile. She, too, like me and the others, is sporting a blue prison uniform. I guess that she was kept in another area of the prison, something probably to do with her powers. I nod my head once before looking away.

The only sound that fills the air is the rumble of the aircraft engines. No one speaks, probably too tired and exhausted to even attempt to try and converse. I chew on the inside of my lip as I stare at the ground, trying to think about what would happen next.

How could someone help me? Like what are the logistics of freeing my mind from HYDRA?

I look back over to see that the others are slowly picking up conversations. Clint and Wanda whisper while Sam and Steve talk to each other. Nick Fury is over by the cockpit, talking to the unfamiliar lady who flies the aircraft.

Scott turns to me, "are three of your limbs actually metal?" I stare at him, take aback by his question. I nod my head, and his eyes light up. "I don't care whether you agree or not, but that's cool. Like how does the mechanisms behind it even work?"