Twenty

The steam from the coffee swirls upwards before the mist evaporates into nothingness. I take a sip from the cup, enjoying the bitterness, but not so much the fact the liquid scolds my tongue. I set the cup down and glance at both Tyrone and Jamal, who sit at the table trying to be discreet about their glances but failing miserably.

My right arm rests on the table with my jacket hung over the back of the chair. The metal is in full view, glinting as the sun beams through the window behind me.

I sigh, "what?"

Tyrone looks up first, shaking his head. "Nothin'."

"Are you really an assassin or is that like show-biz?"

I nod my head as I take another sip. "I have no idea what show-biz means, but yes I am a product of HYDRA."

"We learnt about HYDRA in high school a few years back when we were in history. Neither of us ever paid much attention though."

Tyrone snorts, "I did. You were always napping."

I hardly knew these two, but somehow the idea of Jamal napping in history class made sense. I laugh at the image that floats in my head,

"So them HYDRA dudes, did this to you?" Jamal asks, ignoring Tyrone's jab at him as he points to my right arm.

"Yep."

"Sick." I raise an eyebrow. "I mean, not sick. Tyrone! Why would you say such a thing?"

Tyrone looks aghast, "I said nothing you dumb fuck." He then glances at me, "I'm sorry about this idiot. Can't keep himself from saying dumb shit. Always says the first thing that comes to his mind, so you could imagine the amount of trouble he always finds himself in."

"I do not always find myself in trouble." Jamal says, looking deeply offended.

"Say that to your criminal record."

"You can't say shit either, yours is almost as bad as mine."

"Because you know I will follow you till the end of the line."

"Same here brother. Same here."

"Are you two really brothers?"

"Nope, but he might as well be."

Tyrone nods his head in agreement, "so what are you doing here in Brownsville anyway Posie?"

"I don't know really. I tried to visit my brother and Aunt in Queens, but the police had other ideas. I had to run, and now I'm here. Gonna try to lay low or something, figure it out."

"Where were you before Queens?"

"Jamal, stop being so nosey."

"Sheesh, I was just asking."

"Wakanda. I was in Wakanda. They removed the brainwashing done by HYDRA."

"You were brainwashed?"

"Dude, that's sick."

"Jamal!"

"Right, sorry! Not sick. Well it is. Sick and twisted." Jamal says, trying to cover himself as Tyrone tries to whack him on the back of his head.

"Sick and twisted." I agree softly, sipping my coffee.

"If anyone tried that sort of bullshit here, I'd whoop their ass. Or well, I'd tell Tyrone to do it." Jamal glances at Tyrone, who is humming quietly, "yeah on second thought, I'd do it myself. Tyrone's too soft. Everyone here would beat those fuckers up. Get payback on those motherfuckers."