Sixteen

I sit bolt right up, breathing heavily. My body feels sticky with sweat, trying to lean forward to expose the back of my neck, so I can cool down. I am unable to crane my neck. Instead, it feels stiff, a large object wrapped around preventing much movement. Looking around, I see that I am in a small metal room. There is a small three-legged stool welded to the floor and a bed of sorts which I am lying on. I shove the green blanket away as I scramble to my feet.

There is nothing else besides the stool and the bed, which is a large slab of metal attached to the wall with the thinnest of mattresses. I spin around, horrified and confused as to how I got here. Three smooth walls made of metal and one large glass panel, with metal bars on the outside. I move forward slowly, seeing my reflection stare back at me.

It was hardly a mirror, but the reflection of myself in the glass was enough for me to see the large bruise on my lower jaw. My eyes travel away from the bruise, staring at the large metal collar around my neck. I gingerly raise my left hand, fingers grazing against the cool metal. It is almost exactly the same as what I wore in HYDRA. I gulp and turn away, feeling nauseated at the sight of the collar.

As I sit down, my eyes fall onto what I am wearing; a two-piece blue uniform. The items of clothing are baggy, clearly too large for me, hiding my petite frame. I sigh and look away, but there is nothing to look at.

"The Shadow is awake."

I stand up, moving back towards the large glass pane, trying to see past the large metal bars. I can see that I am not the only cell, but five others are circling a middle room. I look across to see three of the other cells are being used. I recognise two of the three men. Clint Barton leans against the glass panelling of his own cell, watching me. Sam Wilson, the other man that I recognise, moves off his bed and towards the glass of his own containment cell.

"Ah, hey?"

"Got a nice collar there. What do you think it does?"

"Yeah... I guess its like the one back in HYDRA. Electric shocks if I'm out of line."

"Geez, rather you than me." Sam says with a humourless laugh.

"Yeah..." I trail off before looking back over to Clint Barton. "Where are we?"

"The Raft Prison."

I pinch my lips in a thin line, "lovely."

"Well what do you expect, we're all criminals."

I sink to my feet, sitting cross-legged on the ground. "I understand me being here... but what did you guys do to be considered criminals?"

"It's a long story kid." Clint Barton, says crouching down. "I don't get it. Why would you even try to join the fight kid? You were outnumbered. There was no way you'd win."

"I didn't exactly know that there would be eleven other people at the airport. I was just after The Winter Soldier."

"You could of run. Why didn't you?" Sam asks, joining in the conversation.

"I don't know." I say quietly. And the truth was, I didn't actually know. "Anger I guess."

I look down, staring at my right hand, tracing the outline of where the nail beds should be, when a door opening to the middle room attracts my attention. I look up to see Tony Stark walk inside. I can see the deep bruising on his face around his eyes, and I know that it must hurt.

I can hear clapping from Clint Barton's cell, and I look away from Tony Stark and over at him. "The futurist, ladies and gentlemen. The futurist is here! He sees all! He knows what's best for you, whether you like it or not." His voice quietens as Tony Stark walks over.