Ten

I peered past the curtains to see that the sun would rise soon, so I needed to leave. I grab anything I brought with me, as well as the cash I found lying around the house, back to the car I had stolen yesterday. The closest shopping mall was a half-hour drive, and I desperately needed something new.

I walk into the first shop, appalled by all the clothing options before me. Nothing was great; most of it was short sleeve tops and shorts, none of which could hide my metal appendages. It took me ages to find something that would disguise my metal limbs but would be suitable to move around in. I settled on some black cargo style pants and a green shirt and jacket to hide my metal arm. I grabbed a couple of other clothing items, so I could change.

I made my way to the counter and paid with the stolen cash. The ladies in the store kept eyeing me up, but I simply ignored them. I ignored everyone I walked past; however, a small child catches my eyes. I pause, pretending to look at the window display, but I keep my eyes locked on the kid.

Blonde hair and brown eyes, hardly older than two, was wailing as she looked around. She was clearly lost. Everyone else seemed to ignore the crying child, too wrapped up in their own lives to care. I couldn't say much because I am the same. I walked off, back to the car, but part of me wondered if that was what happened to me.

"How did I get kidnapped by the Red Room?" That was the first time I had ever asked myself that question, typically not caring about the life I could have had. But as I drove down the road to the train station that I last knew James Barnes to be at, I couldn't help but wonder. Thanks to the weird robot, I knew I had a brother and an aunt, yet no parents. What happened to them? Did they die in a crash? Were they murdered? Questions flashed through my brain, ones that were usually suppressed.

If I were never kidnapped, I wonder what sort of person I would be to-.

The intense force coming from within had returned. I pulled over onto the side of the road as quickly as possible, as pain washed over me. I sat there in the driver's seat, my body searing with pain, causing my body to convulse. My head felt like it was on fire, burning from the inside out. It was more intense than the other day, lasting longer. I managed to suppress the screams that wanted to spill out.

Once over, I lean my head against the steering wheel, trying to calm myself down. I didn't know what was happening, other than the fact it was HYDRA. Once I am sure I am okay, I keep driving, locking away those thoughts back into the back of my mind.

I stand in line at the train station, pushing the leftover money towards the ticketer, who in return gives me a ticket that would allow me to travel all the way from here to Moscow. The train would be leaving in thirty minutes, so I was able to board.

I didn't know where James Barnes got off, but I knew I was heading in the right direction. The train ride would take over a week to reach the final destination, so there were small rooms with a bed in each carriage. Amenities were shared, but I didn't mind as long as no one bothered me.

I found the room alright and instantly locked the door, pulling the blinds, before setting my stuff down. I sit on the edge of the bed, knowing someone will come around asking for tickets. I was right. The ticket collector comes around, knocking on the door. He clips my ticket before leaving, leaving me alone for the remainder of the train ride.

I only leave the room once a day and only at night, where I go to the bathroom. I never take longer than ten minutes, almost paranoid that someone would break into my room. I hardly slept on the train, only napping for an hour every so often.

Most of the time, I was sifting through resources, trying to see if James Barnes had left any sort of trail for me to pick up once the train had reached its final destination. It seemed I was reaching a dead-end, no matter how I tried to approach the situation. He simply vanished.