Twenty Eight

We pull up to a logged cabin that sits facing a lake. The second the car is parked, I swing open the door, stepping out, feet crunching against the fallen leaves. A few metres from the house, a small tent is set up, along with some other miniature wooden furniture bits. Tony Stark looks over, face falling slightly, as Natasha and Steve nod to him.

He whispers something to the little girl, who seems to be four years old. She runs off towards the wooden house before glancing over her shoulder to where we stand near the car. Her dark brown hair whips wildly over her shoulder. She slows down upon seeing me, and I can see Tony tense up from the corner of my eye.

She changes her direction, running towards me, and I internally sigh. She races over while Tony moves to his feet, eyeing me cautiously. She stands there looking at my arm, raising her one to touch my own. Her fingers trace the plating of the arm, and her smile widens. "It's cold."

I look away from the little girl, eyes growing wide as I glance at Natasha, who tries to hold back a laugh. I find Tony, who gives me the slightest smile and a nod of reassurance. I internally sigh, not really sure how to act around the child. I crouch down until I'm at eye level with her. "Yeah, that's because it's made of vibranium." I extend my arm out further, and she gently taps the metal, giggling quietly as it rings out.

She looks away from the arm, eyes dancing around my face, lingering on the scar. "What's that from?" She points to it?"

"Oh... I was wrestling a crocodile." I lie, knowing that Tony would have my neck if I told the young girl the truth.

"A crocodile?"

"It had a really long jaw and super sharp teeth," I use my arms to imitate a crocodile jaw. "And it was greeny and super slimey."

"Gross." She giggles.

"Yeah, it was gross. You should run along inside now." I say, pointing to the house where a woman has emerged standing on the porch.

"Okay. I'll see you soon." She runs off, the woman guiding her inside, while I join Tony and the others who sit on some of the chairs talking.

"Now, we know what it sounds like..." Scott trails off.

"You know, Posie, I think Morgan likes you."

"I think she liked my arm." Tony chuckles at my response.

"Tony, after everything you've seen, is anything really impossible?"

"Quantum fluctuation messes with the Planck Scale, which then triggers the Deutsch Proposition."

Steve, Natasha and Scott share a confused look, only looking more confused when I say yes. "I don't know what he's saying, I'm just agreeing with him."

"In Layman's terms, it means you're not coming home."

"I did."

"No, you accidentally survived. It's a billion to one cosmic fluke. And now you wanna pull off a... What did you call it?"

"A time heist?" Scott replies, trying to hide his pride.

"Yeah, a time heist. Of course, why didn't we think of this before? Because it's laughable. Because it's a pipedream?"

"The stones are in the past. We can go back and get them."

"We can snap our own fingers. We can bring everyone back."

"Or screw it up worse than he already has, right?"

"I don't believe we would."

"Is there any harm in trying Tony? If there is even a possibility it could work, shouldn't we try? We owe to everyone?"