Chapter 9

The flight back was frightening but uneventful. Now standing on a balcony she followed her father through the glass double doors leading inside.

Unsurprisingly, she was nervous again. Things had gone well with her father and he had assured her that Aelin would like her as well but she couldn't quite relax.

Scanning her eyes around the room Della took in what she assumed was the private study. Aelin sat at a circular, ornate table stacked high with books and papers. The whole room was filled with books; jammed on shelves and end tables and chairs. There were two small couches in front of the fireplace that also had books and papers sitting on it.

Aelin looked up from her work and flashed a smile to Rowan.

"Buzzard! I have been waiting for hours. I had to review the trade deals with the council all by myself!"

Della cringed at her words. How could she be so selfish, of course her father was busy. Glancing up, her father appeared unbothered by the complaint. He merely chuckled before flicking the young Queen on the nose.

"You deserve it. Especially after you left me high and dry last time." Rowan teased back. Looking up at Della he said to her "don't take her seriously she's just upset I kept you to myself all morning."

"And afternoon!" cried Aelin. She then turned and walked to Della who was still lingering in the door way. "Please come in! While your father is a big grouch I am not. Are you hungry?"

Rowan rolled his eyes and huffed a laugh striding to the couch. The two females now arm in arm followed him. Sitting next to Aelin and across from her father felt slightly reminiscent of last night. Della appreciated Aelin's efforts to make her feel more at home.

"So how did it go? Really I hope he wasn't so grouchy that he scared you off."

"No, no" Della slid her eyes up nervously not wanting to offend her father. "He was perfectly fine. I ...have uh- decided to stay actually."

Aelin clasped Della's hands into her own prompting Della to look at her.

"That makes me happy Della it really does." Aelin said with an earnestness that had Della fighting off tears. "Rowan deserves to know his daughter and you deserve to know your father."

Della nodded, she couldn't form the words to express her gratitude. This was more than she had dared hope for.

"And while I am very excited to get to know you, we should discuss how to want to handle this moving forward."

Della once again was left nodding.

"I think it would be unwise to try and keep her hidden." Said Rowan. "Not that I distrust our staff and friends but it will be difficult to keep her from the public eye. That and it's likely a wedding guest saw her and may become curious."

"I agree, the fact that no one has noticed you before now is a miracle." Aelin agreed.

"Della, do you have any preferences. If you wish to remain out of the public's knowledge we can do our best, but I cannot make you any promises." Rowan asked Della directly. It was impressive to watch him switch from the roles of loving mate to kind father to now a seasoned commander.

"Oh no. I do think that trying to keep my existence a secret would be difficult. Since my arrival people have commented how I look similar to you."

Not to mention the fact that those people didn't personally know Rowan and were still able to see her resemblance.

"So should we hold a banquet? Announce her to the council?" Aelin mused aloud.

"Please not a banquet. I do not want to create additional work for you."