82. Call to Arms

Our first order of business was finding Hancock

Our first order of business was finding Hancock. We needed to let him know what happened, about the incipient meeting, and the factions that were going to be invited. "And we have to find space for everyone to stay while they're here," MacCready pointed out as we ascended the stairs to the Mayor's office. "We've been clearing out the local buildings. There should be some spare rooms they can use."

Hancock was waiting for us, sprawled on the couch in his office, already several tablets in to his latest tin of Mentats. "So, you gonna tell me what happened last night that had you running off in a tizzy?" he rasped, pinning us with a stern look. "The Watch was less than happy to have a couple of Brotherhood soldiers barging into our happy little community, ya dig?"

Inwardly, I stifled a groan. He's not in a good mood. Great. "They called on us to assist in an urgent operation to stop the Institute from getting their hands on something called a- um, a..."

"Berylli-hooga-whatever it is," MacCready interjected helpfully.

"Beryllium agitator, that's it." I snapped my fingers in remembrance. "It's something that apparently boosts the power of their own generators exponentially."

Hancock sat up straight, his languid pose gone in an instant. "And you're here to tell me," he said in a grimly hopeful tone, "that you stopped them and destroyed the thing, right?"

"Uhhh..." I grasped for something to say.

"You let the Brotherhood of Steel take something that powerful?" Hancock stood up to stalk towards us, and MacCready stepped forward slightly to shield me from the mayor's irritation. "Why didn't you stop them?"

I moved to stand even with MacCready. "That's not what happened either." Shaking my head, I explained. "We... we lost." My voice dropped. "The Institute got the agitator."

Hancock blinked. Instead of exploding in anger as I expected, he became very quiet. "You lost?" He took out his combat knife, twirling it expertly in his fingers as he processed the information. "As if things couldn't get any worse," he muttered to himself. "All right, 'Commonwealth Problem Solvers'. How ya gonna solve this one?"

"That's why we're here," MacCready said. "The Boss has a plan..."

-0-

Hancock was willing to loan out some unfinished rooms around the expanded limits of Goodneighbor to the various faction representatives. (The Rexford was for paying customers only.) However, he flatly refused to hold the meeting in the Old State House. "Not enough room, and I doubt the building can support so many people at once without collapsing, especially if those tin cans bring their power armor. Find somewhere else, Sunshine."

"We have that big room on the bottom floor of our place, Mac," I suggested, glancing at my partner, "but we'll need tables and chairs. Enough for, uh, at least a dozen people, probably more. Let's say twenty, just in case."