2.5

tag

"Oh, how very fancy of you." She chuckled as they had sat down at the hotel more private tables by the window.

"Listen," He rolled his eyes at her sarcasm, "There wasn't much more I could do at half ten."

They laughed in unison as Hoda caught sight of the familiar faces approaching the window, Los Angeles' infamous paparazzi. Hollywood Fix was closely approaching them.

"Get up!" She didn't give him a moment to speak, as she picked up her phone from off the table and grabbed JJ's hand pulling him out of the booth, away from the windows.

"What was that for?" He asked her with raised eyebrows as he glanced back to where they were previously sat.

"Paparazzi."

And as though on cue, they spotted the infamous man with his camera standing at the hotel restaurant's entrance trying to get in. And by the looks of it, he had spotted them too.

"Run."

And they did, like children playing a stupid game of tag, they ran with adrenaline running through the building into the hotel.

"How'd you know him?" 

"I spent many years in America and that guy would never get off my ass." She rolled her eyes at the memories, "Where do you want to go?"

"Might as well go to our own floor and order room service." He shrugged, she nodded in silent agreement as they rode the elevator.

"So have you opened a few catalogues yet, took a look at the rings?"

He shook his head, as they exited the elevator, he followed her lead as she guided them to her room, "No, not yet, I have so much on my mind right now, she's literally the least of my problems."

"Oh, what's been going on?" She asked sincerely as they both sat down on her bed, knowing dinner could wait, whilst they talked about more serious matters.

"My manager." He sighs, "He wants me to promote the album and the fight at the same time, the album is not even ready, I'm nowhere near finished and I get it with the fight but I- I just can't."

His breath hitched, and for the first time in years he allowed himself to let his guard down, a tear rolling down his cheek, he didn't move to wipe away his tear, he wanted her to see it. To see him vulnerable. He needed to see her validation.

"JJ?" She whispered, lifting his head with her forefinger and thumb, she gently brushed away his tear with her fingertip. His eyes met her, his honey-coloured orbs, glazed over with a fresh set of tears, met with hers, mysterious and dark, yet in those same cold emerald eyes, he found a sense of comfort. A sense of familiarity. A sense of home.

In each other's eyes, they found home. Feeling comfort and security that neither of them had felt for years.

"I've got you."

And with those words, the sob that he had been holding in for so long had exploded into cries. She held him, as he fell apart hoping she'd be the one to hold him together.

And she did. She pulled him over her body as he fell into her comfort. And just like he expected she smelt comforting and warm, sugary and sweet, like honey, cinnamon and lemon, she felt like the warmth in winter.

"It's okay, I've got you, you're going to get through this, stronger than before, sunshine." She whispered sweet comforting nothings into his ear as his body trembled with loud muffled cries as he curled into her side taking in her warmth, not being able to get enough.

He fell asleep in her arms his cheek stained with tears, with her warmth and comfort, feeling safe in her arms, knowing she was shielding him from all the harm that would soon fall into their lives.

As his breaths steadied and his chest heaved rhythmically, she had realised he had fallen asleep in her arms. Her hands ran over his back subconsciously as he hummed in comfort. She cooed quietly, he looked at peace, he didn't look anything like the internet persona he had created, nor like the cold, cocky man he tried to impersonate. He looked innocent and naïve, he was out of place in a world filled with cruelty.

And she finally realised maybe loving him wouldn't be as bad as she would have thought it was. Because just like her, he was broken and cold, in need of warmth and comfort, the feeling of home that they only found together.

His body warmth adding to her own, it welcomed her into a haze of darkness as the night finally took over her, her tired eyes and heavy eyelids fluttering shut, giving into the dark.

She woke up before he did. It took her a moment to realise that she wasn't at home, with her brother next door or her father jokingly banging on the door for her to wake up for school. For the first time in years, she slept peacefully, waking up feeling well-rested. Her eyes fell the lump of heat in her arms, resting partially on top of her. 

JJ lay there, snoring soundly, she awed at the sight before reaching out to get her phone from the bedside table, she checked the clock, a few minutes before morning prayers, she called off her alarm before it went off and managed to wriggle out of bed, without moving JJ. Replacing herself with a pillow that he clung to, she made her way to the bathroom to make wudhu and fix her scarf that had fallen off her head whilst she had slept. 

She walked out of the bathroom to see JJ sitting on her bed, cross-legged, with the duvet wrapped around him. He looked like a young child, just woken up from their slumber. 

"Morning sunshine." Hoda chuckled, greeting him with a smile and nod as she moved to her suitcase to pick up her prayer mat. 

"Morning." He grumbled, his voice raspy and low, "Where are you going?" By no way had this woman slept, not once had he seen her look out of place or fashion, she always seemed to be on top of her game.

"Downstairs to the prayer room," She shrugged, "Maybe go freshen up and we'll meet in the lobby for breakfast?" 

"Sure, I'll meet you then," He grunted, but made no show of movement. Too comfortable in her bed to move.

Written: 10/12/2021

Published: 10/12/2021

(A/N: Y'all wouldn't know when I tell you I did this chapter on a irl timelapse lmao)