Prologue

Ayanokouji POV

White. The room that had no color hurt my eyes. The bright light in the ceilings didn't help. But, it was not the time to mind the pain that they brought, the pain that kept growing day by day, in that very room. Because that pain is a minuscule fraction of the pain that was engulfing me.

My body felt like it was in a scorching furnace. My magic circuits felt like they were overheating the processors of a computer. Every muscle in my body felt like it was burning even though I was drenched in sweat. I felt so weak. I felt like I would vomit at any moment. Standing and walking was like torture. I carried myself to my bed. Just covering that distance was hell and a second more felt like an hour.

My upper body collapsed on the side of the bed. I crawled the rest of myself up the bed. The sheets were stained dark red as I moved on top of it. I put my right hand on top of the injury of the day. A stab wound that I received in the earlier classes. Blood kept flowing out of it. It wouldn't stop.

My vision blurred. I couldn't move a muscle.

"Am I... going to... die?"

I didn't know what to think. I was thinking about 'that man', about what was going through his mind to see me like this. Escaping death would mean that a miracle had happened. I didn't have the power to treat the cut myself. I was feeling colder and colder. Death was right around the corner. I spent the time just thinking. Most of the people around me already had their life cut short. If this keeps up, no one will remain. Still, I've made it quite far. It's a shame... I haven't gotten a chance to escape... I haven't gotten the chance to see what was outside these blinding walls... I haven't gotten the chance to see the sky... I haven't gotten a chance to have friends and experience new things with them... and I haven't gotten a chance to see 'that man' suffer and die by my hand.

I had nothing left to spare, not even for anger nor sadness. Thoughts would quickly lose their ground as they entered my mind. My eyelids felt heavy. I couldn't resist for long. Darkness envelops my blurred vision as I succumbed to closing my eyes.