Chapter 3 - Part 5 "Final Master"

Ayanokouji POV

I listlessly ate lunch during the break. Three days ago, I set up a bounded field in this cafeteria, but now it had been completely destroyed, along with the ones in my classroom and the ones in Class 1-A and Class 2-B.

That should narrow down the groupings that contained mages considerably. I set up a camera to monitor the situation in the cafeteria, however, it had vanished alongside the field.

"Kiyotaka, you listening?" Akito brought me back to the conversation of the group.

"I am."

It was concerning the upcoming special exam, the one I had resolved everything with. They thought of a plan in which we would give praise votes among ourselves. With Memory Partition, I created a line of thought in parallel to continue to participate in their discussion and simultaneously recount another situation.

I asked Kei to give me a list of names of classmates who were in the lap of luxury. I even asked her to get that information from Kushida. This is because mages that come from powerful lineages should have wealth amassed by their research on magecraft and spells. Strange as it is, patents could be made for magical formulas and spells.

Of those that I confronted, two were mages, Matsushita and Koenji.

I ambushed the former on her way to Keyaki mall alone. I threw to her a stone that was inscribed with a rune that would make it explode. She flung the rock far away the instant she caught it and had a glimpse. To note, I hadn't transferred any magical energy unto it.

The trap I set was successful in the confirmation of her status as a mage. Although she was completely shocked at first that I was a sorcerer, my proposition was completely rejected. She had an acceptable reason for not participating. She came to the conclusion that the risk of her life being lost is not worth the wish to be granted.

Meanwhile persuading Koenji was for naught, even if that outcome was to be expected. He rebuffed 'Why would a perfect existence seek a wish from that cup? Doing so would confirm that that being was never perfect to begin with.'.

With those two escapades ending in failure, I turned my attention to the person in Class A. She was currently present in the cafeteria, accompanied by the girl that would follow her around. They were seated on the opposite side of the room.

As the break went by, I made my way to the special building. After several minutes, I could hear the clacking of an object making contact with the floor in succession.

"It's quite a surprise for you to make contact with me in this manner, Ayanokouji-kun."

"Sakayanagi, do you know what this is?"

I lifted the concealment spell on my hand and revealed the three markings. Her eyes widened in surprise.

I was positive she knows about Mystics. After all, her father does. Mages commonly pass down their magecraft and Magic Crest to their offspring, and this would cause them to surpass their predecessor. Not to mention, Magic Circuits also often tend to increase either in either quantity or quality as lineages become older.

"That's... I see. The Tokyo Holy Grail War is currently ongoing. But... I'm surprised that this news had reached your ears. Even I had no idea it had begun. It came a lot sooner than expected."

"Was the family crest passed down to you?"

I asked without hesitation. The smile on her face disappeared rather quickly.

A Magic Crest is an accumulation of Magic Circuits from its previous possessors that is passed down to the next. Longer bloodlines tend to have more circuits, thus making them more powerful. That is why who inherits it is ascribed with great importance.