Chapter 2 - Part 5 "The Veteran and That Night"

Ayanokouji POV

"Archer's Master should be just a bit more South."

"Aren't you concerned at all that this might be a trap?"

"Not really. My Mystic Code will protect us if anything happens. And don't underestimate Lancer. He might act like a clumsy old fool, but he's a talented warrior."

We were currently traversing to a dense forest. Archer's Master apparently gave away his location to Euthemia. Whether or not this was a trap did not matter to her.

Of course, I was intrigued and so I decided to join them. It was currently a weekend, so I had more free time.

"So tell me, Berserker's magecraft. It's exactly what I think it is, right?"

"I was shocked too when I witnessed it."

"I honestly can't imagine you with a shocked expression."

Morgan was currently a large distance away from us while Lancer was on the lookout for potential traps.

"We're approaching the mansion."

"Lancer, check if there's a Bounded-

A mass of liquid metal rose from the ground and deafening sounds were heard throughout the forest. It was the sound of gunfire and the bullet colliding with the Mystic Code.

"What the hell?! That's no normal gun! It has enough to deform a part of Volumen Hydrargyrum."

"Well, that attack wasn't from Archer. It's probably from the Master himself. I took the chance to sneak a glance while they fired the bullet. It was a human that was holding the rifle."

"Well, this confirms that this was a trap then!"

"Why so tense? It's just a simple attack." A figure then appeared from the bushes.

"Archer."

"If you weren't able to overcome that attack, I would have killed you by now. But since you did, it seems I don't have to. Well, my Master wants to meet you."

Archer walked towards the direction mansion without looking back. We followed after her. She was a woman who had long black hair. She was wearing a darkly colored uniform. She led us to the mansion where we were greeted by a person holding a rifle.

"It's a rather late time to come visit. Why didn't you come earlier? I'd rather not say my name, but you can just call me Harold, for now."

The man that stood in front of us was rather old. But, he's definitely a magus, although one that uses unorthodox spells.

"Can you explain first why we were shot at without warning?"

Euthemia asked annoyed by the surprise attack.

"Don't mind me. I was just gauging your strength a bit. You're trying to make an alliance with other Masters to fight against a Servant right? Then, if you couldn't hold your own, then that Servant isn't a threat to us. But, now that that's finished, would you mind having dinner while we talk?"

The mansion was massive. Just the dining hall, could have easily fit a hundred people.

Euphemia and I sat at opposite sides, while the old man just sat in the middle of the long rectangular table.

"You're a Master, right? Where's your Servant?"

His attention suddenly turned to me.

"I can defend myself fine."

"Oh? Is that so?"

"A soldier like you would certainly understand. Am I correct?"

"Oh? What makes you say I was a soldier?"

"The rifle you held and the collection of guns. Of course, you could have just been an antique collector or a hunter, but you had two scars on your arm. It's not noticeable from afar as it could be attributed to a skin condition. However, those came from bullet wounds right?"

"You're quite the smart kid. But, someone can be shot by an accident right?"

"Those two scars came from different types of ammunition. Considering your collection of guns seemed to be limited and became popular in a certain era, along with a military knife that's not used in the current military. I'd say you participated in the Vietnam War."

"Very impressive. I might just make an ally of you for your talents. You might be helpful in discovering the True Names of Servants. But, explain the reason as to why you need me to ally with"

Thus Euthemia discussed the terms of the alliance. It was virtually the same as what she and Lancer had already said to me.

"I see, a servant that couldn't be summoned was summoned. So that's why you're trying to form an alliance. But, we have no need for it."

I suddenly threw the knife I had used for dinner towards the veteran soldier. But, I didn't hit him. I hit his hand which subsequently caused him to drop something on the floor.

"You were about to shoot a pistol at one of us, right?"

"You're a clever kid. If only they had more kids like you fight in that war. But, leave me for now. I'll give you my contact number. I'm going to think about it for a little while. You're a capable person after all. A threat to you might mean it's also a threat for me."

That was how the conversation ended. We headed back to ANHS and the weekend passed by without anything much happening. Monday then came and Morgan seemed to notice a difference in my surroundings.

"My husband, why are the people rather obstreperous than usual?"

"Well, it's Valentine's day."

"Valentine's?..."

"Yeah, it's like an occasion where chocolate is given as a gift from girls to boys to show their gratitude and that sort of thing."

"I see."

As the day passed, classes ended as usual and I had received quite a few chocolates at the end of the day. There was even one from Himeno, who gave it to me for teaching her magecraft. I returned to my dorm room.

"I'm back."

"Welcome home, my husband. Would you close your eyes for a moment?"

"What? Why?"

"I have something to bestow to you."

I then closed my eyes. I then felt her presence approaching me. She put something on my face.

"Glasses?"

"Open your eyes."

I opened my eyes, and something peculiar happened. The red lines of death were disappearing on Morgan. No... even the ones that covered the room faded away. It's the first time I've seen something outside those walls that wasn't covered in red.

"I couldn't make any chocolates for you. But for being my faithful retainer, I'll make your wish closer to reality."

I opened the door to my room and saw the outside. The world was clear. I never had the chance to see the world like this. I had already awakened my Mystic Eyes before I escaped from that place.

It was a tranquil night. I just kept observing the scenery that wasn't obscured by cracks anymore for what seemed like hours.

"Thank you, Morgan."

A/N: HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!! Also, thank you for all the support in the comments! And another OC is introduced...