Chapter 3 - Part 2 "First Candidate"

Ayanokouji POV

I awoke in the confines of my dorm room. The exhaustion that came from the night before made my body feel sluggish. I sat up on the bed before a familiar voice greeted me.

"Good Morning. Are you well, my husband?"

She placed my glasses on my face to rid of the crimson lines that obstructed my vision.

What transpired in the latter part of the night prior was something I seemed to have trouble recalling. I remembered that I had proposed a plan to further hold sway of more variables in this strange clash.

"Since you seem rather dazed. Let me bestow the fact that you collapsed suddenly last night. I suspect that it had been the result of rapidly depleting a large amount of magical energy and enduring the consequences of your Mystic Eyes for an extended period."

"Then what happened after that?"

"I arrived at your location the moment Shared Perception shut off. Nothing much occurred, they just agreed to your tactic while I took you here."

"Right. It's still the weekend, right? Then we have extra time in our hands to convince someone to join the Holy Grail War."

Sooner or later the last slot for the title of Master would be taken. Time is of the essence. As a student of Advanced Nurturing High School, the windows I have for exiting the premises were small. Not to mention, I had other obligations, such as teaching Himeno.

I prepared several resources and weapons to venture out once again.

"My husband, would you care to give me your word?"

I stopped as she spoke. For a while now, she had just kept staring at me as I prepared. I had pondered the implications.

"My word? On what exactly?"

"Don't attempt to use your Mystic Eyes for the rest of the week. Putting your brain through more burden after last night may cause your death to come early, even if you have your spells to offset it."

"I got it. I'll just have to rely on magecraft."

I returned the small knives that I had fetched for my escapade to the kitchen. I would usually carry around twenty, depending on the number that I had in storage.

Her gaze didn't falter while I moved about. I continued unimpeded.

"Why do you plan to take your apprentice with you?"

"Well, it's a learning experience, is it not?"

"I'd rather you lay down and rest."

"There's no telling when that spot for last Master would be taken up, so the sooner we take it, the better. The ball is in our court. We need to be the ones to take that last spot considering our other contenders."

I grabbed my phone and messaged Himeno. Today, we'll head to the streets of the city.

Himeno POV

The sound of my footsteps blended in with countless others as I walked along the pavement, along with the chatter and noise from assorted vehicles.

My mouth fell agape as today took an unbelievable turn. I would've thought I would just spend the day learning more spells.

Knowing that sorcery itself exists and that I would be able to learn it made me excited beyond belief. It was a stark contrast to the exhausting school life that I had never taken a liking to.

Magecraft even made it easier to deal with the competitive system of the school. I could now cast a spell like Thought Acceleration while studying or taking exams. And I could make use of Domination magecraft to improve my mental and physical capabilities. I also learned a few runes that had differing functions.