Chapter 2 - Part 3 "Eyes That See The Truth"

Ayanokouji POV

"Right. By the way, how did you get in here?"

"I've had to pull some strings but I managed to land a job here. But firstly, you should tell Caster to lift the Bounded Field's effect on me and Lancer."

"Oh right. My Servant is not a Caster."

"Eh?"

She was understandably confused. She even lost a bit of her composure. Although, I did avoid calling out Morgan's Class. The alliance was still in question then. But, it's fine if they learn to trust me a little.

"She's a Berserker."

Her Servant came closer to us. There weren't any people around our area, so he materialized.

"That's surprising. She was completely composed as I was fighting her."

"You do know that Berserkers have Madness Enhancement, right?"

She asked trying to confirm what I said.

"Of course, I know that. I also expected her to be a Caster."

"That makes sense. So that's why her attacks carried so much power behind them. My Master would have been forced to use a Command Spell if she continued to attack."

"Well, will you reveal her True Name to us?"

"Not really."

"How cold. Well, it's not like this wasn't expected of you. Well, It's time for me to leave. We'll get in contact as soon as we move in. We'll discuss what to do. Particularly, it's about Archer."

"Well, I guess this is a fortunate meeting, kid. I can't defeat Achilles alone. But, I'll give you a warning if you try and leave this school. There's been a lot of deaths outside the city. They weren't wounds that would come from a human. It's most likely a Servant, besides Achilles and Archer."

She gave me a paper that had her phone number before she and Lancer went on her way.

Archer? Did they figure out their True Name, or are they trying to turn them into allies?

I headed back to the my room as they left.

"I'm back."

"Welcome home, my husband."

It seems I still have to get used to her greeting.

"It's been a troublesome day. Although, our new allies might be able to help us find the other Servants. If that's the case, we should probably
hurry with our preparations."

"I'm already finished on my end. Your Mystic Codes are all done. The Bounded Field would allow me to accumulate magical energy coming from the leyline and the humans here."

The Bounded Field she had constructed would probably be a difficult task for any magus to accomplish. Even the school chairman didn't notice it. The magical energy collected from anyone who was currently within school grounds would not at all be harmful. But, the population of the school would likely be enough to collect a large amount in a short time. It's not easy to maintain such a unique school environment if this establishment was understaffed and of course, there were the thousand or so students.

"How did Lancer's Master manage to enter this establishment? I'm quite sure they didn't use magecraft."

"Apparently, she used some of her connections to apply for a job as this school's staff. I'm sure that's one of the reasons the chairman suspected me of joining the Holy Grail War. By the way, you heard that conversation, right?"

I put my things away as I went to cook dinner while still participating in the conversation.

"Of course. You gained an apprentice and you're also considering enrolling me to this school."

"Exactly. What's your opinion of it?"

"Even if I abhor it, just as long as the Grail is mine, I'll accept it."

"You hate Proper Human History, don't you?"

"How expected of you to be so perceptive. Yes, I hate the magi of Proper Human History."

"Do you wish to destroy it?"

"Unfortunately, even possessing the Grail won't be enough to destroy this world. There are simply too many measures protecting the Earth and I am only at a fragment of what I was. But, worry not Master, I have not come to see you as a magus. In fact, I won't consider you a human."

"Why?"

"You've lived a slow life, haven't you? A minute for a normal human would be an eternity for you. You were forced to compensate for your headaches by continually activating Memory Partition and Thought Acceleration. You've been trapped for a long time without purpose or direction. You just did what was necessary. You didn't have ill will nor other desires. You're much better than those disgusting fairies and humans."

"Thanks... I guess."

It seems that I've been found out. Well, it's not like I can hide anything anyway. She also has the ability to see intentions anyway.

"By the way, your magecraft... You truly are a genius."

"It's referred to as the Water Mirror. I'm able to transport anything or anyone with it. During my life, I was able to transport even calamities across Britain."

Did she just say she had the ability to transport calamities to a different part of the country? The power required to do that might exceed the Grail's.

I finished cooking and served dinner. We sat down having a tranquil dinner.

Right after, I took a bath. As we both lay on the bed, preparing to sleep, she asked me a question.

"My husband, do you detest your eyes?"

"... I'm not sure. It's a help and a bother. More often than not it leans towards the former. I want to know to deactivate them at least. But, if I get my freedom, I would prefer to not have these eyes at all. I just want to live in peace."

"I can't determine if you are blessed with fortune or misfortune."

"... What do you mean?"

"I've already spoken about the uniqueness of your eyes. However, there is something that you should also know. Those eyes won't lead you to the life you long for. They have another power, one that attracts the strange and unnatural."

I see. That's why it seemed as if I could never catch a break.

"Then, what if I gouge my eyes out?"

"I don't know. Your ability is one of a kind, simply blinding yourself may not resolve the issue. Its nature is unpredictable. You may even start to 'see' the lines when you are blind. There is simply no way to know unless you've experienced it."

"It's quite poetic that the person who received this ability then is someone whose goal is the opposite of what his ability brings."

What a cruel joke. It looks like my fate is to not live a normal life at all.

I stared into the red scribbles that became more pronounced in the dark. Eventually, I fell asleep.