Chapter 28- This Means War

A/N: the picture posted is of the actor who plays Dean's brother

Chapter 28- This Means War

Mia Evans

I slipped on the tight black dress and adjusted my cardigan, sighing quietly. I was still in shock over what happened the other day; I couldn't believe it, I didn't want to believe it.

Of course after I entered that room where both Dean and his parents were sobbing because their son was killed, I lost it. I cried along with them, but helped calm Dean down later on. He didn't sleep at all that night, and I stayed up trying to help him cope.

The next morning he called all the pack members for a meeting and told them the horrid news. His death shocked us all, and tears were shed amongst everyone.

Today is the funeral. Dean hasn't talked much, and his parents have just been emotional wrecks.

He hasn't looked me in the eye, or spoken a full sentence to anybody. I don't blame him, I mean it's his sixteen year old brother we're talking about.

A loud crashing sound broke me out of my trance as I rushed to the bathroom, where Dean's bottle of hair gel was smeared all over the floor. I looked up at him and felt my heart clench inside my chest.

Dean's hands were resting on the sink for support, and his eyes were red and puffy. His cheeks were stained with tears and his breathing was heavy and uneven, as if he had just ran six miles.

I walked over and placed my hand on his back, rubbing it in a smooth circle.

"It's okay", I whispered.

"No it's not!" He shouted, standing up straight. I stepped back, startled by the sudden outburst.

"Don't you understand? His life hadn't even begun yet! He didn't get a chance to find his mate, and now she will never find hers. He will never experience his first kiss, he will never be able to get married or even have a child for that matter. He's gone forever, and I never even got to say goodbye." He choked on those last words. He completely lost it; he cried harder then he did when he found out.

It must have just hit him that his baby brother was dead; he couldn't handle it. He told me at his Alpha ceremony that they weren't very close, but they always got along. I know how Dean feels, he regrets not being more involved in Darren's life. He wants closure, but I'm not sure where I can find him that.

I let him have his moment of privacy until he looked over at me, his eyes glazed over.

He wiped the remaining tears and hugged me with as much as he could, whimpering into my shoulder. I was trying my best not to cry as well, seeing as I need to be strong for him.

Once again, I rubbed his back, using my other hand to comb through his messy hair. This was Dean's moment to let his feelings out, and I intend on letting him do that in private.

* * *

It was dead silent as we entered the building. Everyone was gathered around the casket where Darren was resting peacefully.

The funeral wasn't taking place until later. Now was the time for all pack members to pay their last respects for the fallen member; they hadn't just lost a fighter, they lost family.

All of Darren's immediate family huddled in the back, waiting for everyone to clear out. They would head to the cemetery and wait for us to say a final goodbye, and the ceremony would proceed at his burial site.

After the last person left, I grabbed ahold of Dean's hand as we let his parents walk up to the casket. I turned to look at him and grabbed his face, making him look at me. It caused me physical pain to see him so weak and emotional, but now was not the time to be mushy. I need to be his backbone and help him get through this, I need to be a Luna.

"Baby, I know it hurts like hell. I know you feel helpless and that it's all your fault, but it's not. I don't want you thinking it is, and neither does your pack. They all will support your decisions as Alpha because they love and care for you, as well as your family. Darren will never be forgotton, but he would want you to continue as if he were here. He will always be in your heart, and I need you to remember that. We all need you to remember that. Can you do that for us? For me?"

My eyes watered as I spoke but I forced the tears back. Dean took a deep breath and smiled a bit, kissing me on the forehead.

"I don't know what I would do without you", he whispered. I felt my heart swell at his words and let go of his hand, allowing him to walk up with his parents. He needed to say his goodbyes with the people who loved Darren most.

* * *

After the emotional day, Beta Logan offered to take us out to a nice restaurant to help get our minds off of things. They didn't want to at first but after a bit of persuasion from him, they agreed. We all went home and changed out of our depressing funeral clothes, and for some reason the atmosphere felt lighter.

Dean was talking more and his parents weren't crying, which was a good start. I'd like to think knowing Darren was at peace brought them all a sense of comfort, but maybe they were just trying to be brave.

Logan drove and I sat in the passenger seat, whilst Dean and his parents sat in the back. Logan and I carried on a decent conversation while Dean discussed something quietly with his parents. I never really got the chance to talk one-on-one with Logan, but he was really funny! I laughed at almost everything he said; he was just naturally a comical person.

A soft growling noise abruptly stopped my laughing, causing me to look back at Dean. His eyes were dark and his teeth were starting to sharpen, but his parents didn't seem to notice.

He looked between me and Logan and bared his teeth, growling a little bit louder. It was his jealous Alpha side, something I'd never seen before. I grabbed Logan's attention and he looked back at Dean, curisng under his breath. Logan pulled over and told me to drive, while he switches places with Dean.

I nodded my head and got out as soon as he pulled over, opening Dean's door. I pulled him out and hugged him, trying to calm his nerves. He bent down and kissed my mark, instantly making his anger subside. Both his eyes and teeth went back to normal and I sighed, helping him into the passenger seat.

"Sorry", he mumbled. In response, I kissed his cheek and shut the door, walking around to the other side of the car. I got in and finished the drive to the restaurant where we were quickly seated in a secluded area.

We ordered our drinks and I began to talk with Dean's parents, when a bang on the table stopped us. I looked over and Dean's fists were clamped shut and his jaw was clenched.

Just as I was about to question him he stormed out, and I immediately followed him.

"Dean!" I called after him, but his pace didn't slow. I ran to catch up with him and swiftly turned him around, noticing that he was crying. I wiped his tears but he didn't move a muscle.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

He took a deep breath and finally looked at me, licking his lips.

"Someone from the pack mind-linked me and notified me on something I didn't know."

I nodded. "And?"

"Someone from your father's pack is responsible for the death of my brother", he spoke angrily.

The world stopped.

I felt my eyes water and my throat close, feeling both extremely angry and sad. How could he do this to me?

My breathing patterns changed swifty as my anger became so out of control, I couldn't contain it any longer.

"This means war", was the only thing I could say before running into the woods and shifting.

If he wants to kill one of us, one of his own will be killed in return. And I will be the one to do it.

* * *

Thoughts?

The next chapter will be extremely long due to the events that will take place in it. Prepare yourselves ;)

Question of the chapter is: if I wrote any other books, like a non-werewolf book, would you read it?

-Meghan <3