Chapter 10- Hello Again

* Chapter 10- Hello Again *

"Max, slow down!" I shouted, chasing after the tiny little dog who didn't even know his name yet. He barked in response, not bothering to slow down. Instead, he began to run faster, leaving me in the dust. I frowned before I moved my legs as fast as I could, still unable to catch him.

You see, I decided that if I was going to be living on my own for the time being, I wanted someone with me. After visiting my father in the hospital after two weeks of no activity, I drove to the nearest shelter and picked out Max. He is a pomsky (pomeranion and husky mix), two months old, and is filled with a lot of energy. I could barely keep up with him and his antics. In the two weeks he has been here, he's chewed up half of my shoes, chewed parts of my couch, and has gone through three bags of food. He is extremely hard to train, as you can see.

I had taken him off of his leash since it was beginning to strain him. I didn't think he'd run away; it just happened. I bent down to pick something up and off he went, with me right behind him.

Every time I got somewhat close to Max, he would turn abruptly and put me right back where I started.

Annoyed, I began to run as fast as I could trying to catch up with the little guy. As if he could sense this, he picked up his pace and I was once again very far behind. I had no idea how far I was from my backyard or how far I had ran into the woods; my only focus was on getting Max.

I could feel a pang in my chest from running so hard in the heat, and my breathing was becoming unsteady. I prayed that Max would slow down before I passed out, or he would be gone for good.

Surprisingly, Max started to slow down. I took this as an oppurtunity to catch my breath quickly, making sure to keep a close eye on him.

He walked under a bush and his barking stopped. Panic rushed through my vains, fearing it was an animal. I quickly jogged to the bush and walked through, seeing Max sitting before me. I sighed with relief, then realized he was looking up at something, or someone.

I slowly lifted my gaze, only to be met with hazel eyes that made my heart melt.

It was Dean. His hair was wet and matted to his forehead, while his baggy clothes were loose on his muscular body. He must be out for a run.

Feelings of both happiness and guilt filled me, but all I offered was a small smile.

"Hey", I said awkwardly before picking up Max. "Thanks for stopping him, I was chasing him for a while."

He smiled at me before putting both of his hands in the pockets of his basketball shorts, his eyes glued to mine.

"It was no problem, he just stopped in front of me", he said. I nodded my head and an awkward silence engulfed us, causing Max to wiggle around in my arms.

"Well I better get him back home, would you like to come with me so we can have tea or something?" I asked, hoping he would say yes.

"I don't know, I'm pretty sweaty from being outside; I was jogging for a while. Do you mind?"

I shook my head almost immediately, causing him to smirk.

"Alright then, you lead the way."

***

The walk back to my house consisted of nothing but the sound of crumpled leaves and twigs snapping beneath our feet. Max would occasionally growl at a squirrel, resulting in me scolding him. Dean must have found it pretty entertaining considering he laughed everytime I did so.

When we arrived to my house, I led Dean to the bathroom and set everything up for him to shower. He thanked me before I walked out and shut the door, my cheeks turning bright red. I've never had a guy in my house, or around me ever (other then my dad). It was awkward for me, especially since Dean would flirt with me every so often. It didn't help that he was extremely attractive, which made me even more nervous.