Chapter 17- Silver Eyes

Dean Sanders

"Because she has fallen in love with her mate."

Hearing those words from him practically made my heart stop. Mia loves me.

My mate loves me!

My wolf was bursting with joy and wanted nothing more than to scoop her in my arms and kiss her until the world ends. But given the situation, I can't really do that.

I snapped out of the daze I was in and looked towards Mia, whose eyes were still shut and she was still groaning.

I had so many questions to ask the doctor, but now obviously wasn't the time. After Mia shifts, we can talk to him so everything will be clear to both her and I.

The doctor handed me a wet paper towel and I dabbed Mia's forehead, hoping to get rid of some of the sweat that rested there.

More cracking noises echoed off of the trees, and I knew it was horrible for Mia. In order for her to shift, her bones must break and transform into those of a wolf. The first time is excruciating; it takes a long time and you endure all the pain. The second time it doesn't hurt, but it does feel awkward since your body isn't used to it. I shifted when I was fourteen, so it was easier for my body to go through the process. Mia is twenty, and her body may not be able to endure it. It's not common for people to shift when they are that age, and I knew that there was a small chance she might not live through it.

I stayed by her side the entire time. I watched as her arms broke themselves and as her legs popped. I watched as fur sprouted out in all places, soaking up all the sweat her body produced.

The doctor had his nurse come and check on us periodically. We had to make sure that no one was around when Mia fully shifted; she may be frightened, angry or even dominant. Her wolf will sense me as her mate right away and if anyone is around, she may attack them.

I could tell when her body was ready to accept her wolf. Her eyes shot open and her breathing slowed; she was in a peaceful state where the pain would stop and her body would begin to transform.

When her face started to elongate and I quickly shifted into my wolf so she would feel a bit more comfortable when she woke up.

I sat beside her as her face slowly stretched into a snout. At the same time, her limbs cracked and shifted and fur instantly appeared through the pores of her skin.

In merely seconds she laid on the ground, fully transformed into a beautiful wolf. Her fur was mostly a silver color, but also had darker spots scattered around in areas. Her eyes still remained shut but her breathing was steady and I whined, thanking the goddess that Mia survived her first shift.

Upon hearing me whine, Mia's eyes shot open and landed on mine. I was instantly captured by them; they were a sparkling silver that almost matched her fur perfectly. She growled lowly, recognizing me as her mate. However, just because her wolf knows it's me, doesn't mean she knows it's me.

She slowly stood on her feet, carefully trying to balance herself on four legs. She was quite smaller then me, and I prayed she didn't feel intimidated.

Her paws were firm on the ground as she looked back up at me, taking in my features.

Mia, I whispered through the mind link. Her head snapped back to look at her surroundings, thinking a person was around.

Mia, It's me. I'm right in front of you, I whispered again.

She cocked her head to the side and studied me, before hesitantly taking a step forward.