31. He was a Blessing!

Every year since that night, I dreaded my birthday

Every year since that night, I dreaded my birthday. For the past four birthdays, all I did was cry on being alive for one more year. Her screams, how my ex-best friend shoved her down the stairs, how I held her lifeless body in my arms were the only things that would revolve in my brain.

My Mumma always told me whatever I wish for on my birthday would come true, and every f*cking birthday I wished for death. 

I had been waiting for death for the past four birthdays. Her screams haunted me every time I closed my eyes and I just wanted to bring all this misery to end.

But for the first time, I didn't wish for death. Rather I thanked God.

I thanked God for not fulfilling my wish for the past years. I thanked God for keeping me going, for keeping me alive.

And for sending Nicolas in my screwed up life.

He was the first person who didn't question me but stood by my side without any condition or expectation. The first person who made his way into my life without making me a prisoner. The first person who made me smile again, who made me believe I wasn't a coward and that I was worth living.

He was a blessing.

A small peck on my cheek brought me out of my reverie. The little kid in my arms pecked me again, apparently, he was trying to grab my attention. A chuckle escaped me as he kissed my nose. I held his little fingers in my hand and held his little body close to mine as he kept showering me with his tiny kisses.

"I wuv you.", he said in his baby voice before he dozed off in my arms. My heart swelled with warmth and I felt like my eyes were staring at a rainbow. I smiled at him. "I love you too, little baby."

I sat down on a bench, the sun was shining brightly in a cerulean sky, and I looked at the little boy in my arms. My eyes caught the sight of a smiling Nicolas who had been painting with the other kids, once in a while I could hear his heartwarming laughter. The kids looked very happy with him.

The caretaker of the orphanage took the little kid from my arms telling me she will make him sleep in his room with a smile.

"A place I know you'll love.", his words rang in my ears and I found myself agreeing on every bit of it. I loved every single moment of my stay here. I closed my eyes as I smiled in my heart.

The next moment I felt a soft touch. When I opened my eyes, I was left stunned. A bunch of kids were surrounding me, each one holding a flower in their hands. In unison, they all sang "Happy Birthday" with so much enthusiasm and a sense of pride that I couldn't help but smile.It was indeed a very happy birthday.

I felt tears in my eyes as I tried to stop them from rolling down. They pushed birthday cards and flowers my way. My heart literally was bursting with love.

My eyes searched for Nicolas but I couldn't find him. The very next moment I felt arms wrap around me from behind. My heart picked its pace as I recognized his touch. I looked over my shoulder and smiled at his eyes. A small smile, my eyes filled with love. "Happy birthday, amore." He whispered in my ear.

The next moment I was in his embrace, my arms circling his neck as I buried my face in his chest. It felt like a moment that was a lifetime ago. I felt the warmth of his breath against my cheeks and lips. When I pulled back, a slight smile was plastered on my face. "Thank you."

The kids clapped in union and I turned to them. With a kiss on my cheek, a heartwarming smile and a beautiful wish, they gave me the birthday card and flower.

When they were done, all of them pushed me to where they were originally sitting, painting for me. I smiled at their enthusiasm, my heart not able to absorb the love I was getting.

The moment I stepped into the specific corner, I was left awestruck.

And when I say awestruck, I meant it with every single cell of my body.  

How better can this man be?

A canvas having my painting on it stood right in front of me. It was a portrait of me smiling at the little kid in my arms.

And I'd be lying if I say, I never felt more beautiful than I did that moment. My smile looked it would blind people with its radiance. "Nickoliee painted it." They said in a unison pointing to where he stood looking at me with a warm smile on his face.

And at that moment I knew.

I wasn't falling for him.

He had made me f*cking fall for him completely.

I wiped the single tear that ran down my cheek as I bent down to come to the level of the kids. "I hope you like it.", I whispered as I finished writing the simple thank you message for him.

"Give it to him." I smiled at the brown-haired kid handling the letter and a red rose to him.I watched him taking the letter from his hand. My heart leapt as I caught him smiling at the rose. He stared at it for a second more and then quietly kept it in his pocket looking here and there as if checking if he was being watched.

I chuckled at his adorable self.

He opened the letter and as soon as he rose his head in order to look at me, I looked away, I felt so shy as if it wasn't gratitude but a bloody love letter.

I peered at him lightly and my heart literally jumped in my chest when I saw him walking towards me. He cunningly sent the kids to the other ground saying he had gifts kept for them there.

My heart picked its pace as I anticipated his next move, within a second he had pulled me towards him to a secluded place. My heart skipped a beat when he wrapped his arms around me, my breath catching in my throat.

"Ms Summers, did you realize you signed the letter as 'Your amore'."

I knew it was a bad idea, my cheeks heated as he said those words.

"I-" My words died as I saw his face getting all stony and serious. He didn't call me Arielle, does it mean I did something wrong? I found myself questioning the heavens above me. God! Please don't make me go through a second-hand embarrassment and as if, due to it being my birthday, my prayers got answered first.

His perfect gorgeous face broke into a smile.

"It's your birthday but you know you gave me the most amazing gift today." He said with a wide smile.

He leaned forward such that our foreheads touched."Jesus Christ! You're f*cking driving me insane, amore."

***