Part 3

Dear Mummy,

I wasn't going to write until after my operation but I'm still in the hospital, still waiting for my operation. I'm very bored so this is going to be a long letter. I didn't even know how long it had been since the ambulance dropped me off, so I asked granny. I was really worried that she might need to go before my operation happened, but she said she'd stay forever if she had to, and that I had been at the hospital for 10 days.

I told her I didn't understand why things were taking so long. I thought doctor Gama (as well as every person from the hospital who spoke to me since I left home) knew that my appendix is about to explode!

I have lots of pain every day, but I've only spoken to a couple of nurses before granny got here. Today, granny got very cross and dragged a male doctor into my room, saying I'm not being looked after properly. The doctor looked like he was too busy for me but granny blocked his way out of the room. She was huffing and puffing from digging in her heels and I had to bite down on my tongue not to cheer. I knew she was being brave for me and that this was a big effort for her, what with her only having one lung.

The doctor gave me blood tests and he asked me lots of questions before he left. I was happy at first but then one of the questions was about whether I was faking being ill. I said I wasn't faking because I'd been ill—just like this—many times before, for as long as I can remember. I said he could just ask my old doctor, Senhor Belem, in Sao Paulo, or daddy and Nona. Of course, you'll know all about it the same as them.

Granny asked me to describe to the doctor my pains. I could tell she was angry with the doctor, not me. So, I told him how I would cry and vomit for a whole day or two, and then I would feel better for months and months. Then it would happen again. That was how my tummy lived its life until I left our home in Sao Paulo to come with daddy and Nona to Gravatai. That's when it got worse, and I would be very sick for three or four days once a month. My old doctor, Senhor Belem, never told me and Nona anything about appendices or we would have remembered. Nona always said that doctor Belem was a wise and knowledgeable man because he was a man of importance, so we should always listen to him.

The new doctor listened to me. He then said that if I feel better, I wouldn't have to have an operation. He asked me if I wanted an operation and that's when I said I didn't.

Granny looked upset but she didn't say anything this time.

Truth is, I'm really, really scared of being operated on. I know that they have to put me to sleep with an injection and cut me open with a knife. The people in the ambulance said so. But they insisted that getting my appendix out would be a good thing. So why is it that this doctor today didn't talk about the operation like the people from the ambulance? I don't get it. Why did doctor Gama make Nona call an ambulance if I'm not really sick?

I would love to say more but I'm very tired from not being allowed to eat normal food. Granny is tired of fighting with the doctor.

Please can you send us a little help?

I love you

Zelia

Have you ever been ill and not been believed, just like Zelia? Do you think she's faking it, and what are your reasons for thinking yes or no? 

Vote and share your thoughts and comments 😃