Part 11

Mum,

Mum,

Did you know that our apartment was broken into last week? Nona has been away to Paraguay to visit her mum in the hospital, dad was at work, and I was in school. When I came back home in the afternoon, I heard some footsteps on the other side of the door, even though it was locked. That's when I noticed marks around the frame, as though it had been forced in, and then closed again. I had a key, but I was too scared to open the door, so I fetched Elena's mum and she came back with me to open the door.

Oh, mum; it was horrible! Everything was upside down and anything remotely fragile had been smashed or torn. I'd never seen anything like this. I didn't cry at first but then I noticed that the presents that granny gave me for my christening--like the gold chain that had been yours for your communion--that was all gone. 

You've felt further away from me than ever before since then. Do you feel it too? Can I ever replace our gold chain or the comfort it brought me...as though we were holding hands across every possible obstacle? 

I just can't imagine it and it all hurts too much

Zelia

Have you ever lost an irreplaceable heirloom? Comment or vote to show your support!

Photo by Rafael Classen, from Pexels