Part 8

Hi Mum,

This week was my first at my new school and Elena was so nice and helpful. She showed me around the place, which is shaped like a couple of big trucks put end-to-end. Elena also showed me the library and how to borrow books. She demonstrated how to use the old, smelly toilets which have this weird flushing system with an old cord and a box at the top. Ever seen one of them?

Well, I hope you have much better toilets where you are. The whole building was kind of dingy and some classrooms were just abandoned, with their entrances barred over with chains and padlocks. It wasn't like daddy described at all and the garden around the playground was just some overgrown vines and prickly bushes. The school sits in this rectangular, dark hole, all day. And when I look up, I'm surrounded by tall, city buildings on every side.

I never got given the chance to introduce myself to anyone, but Elena my classmate is already my friend, so maybe that's fine.

The principal of the school is a lady with long, black hair and pale skin. She looks a little like Maria Bethânia except that she never smiles, demands to be called "headmistress", and only speaks to give commands. This is different from my teachers at my previous school, who we could call by their first names, who laughed with us and made everyone feel at home. Whenever the headmistress's eyes and mine meet, hers always stick around, as if she's found something gross stuck to my forehead. She hasn't actually spoken to me on my own yet. She had a word with everyone about there being a termite problem in the building but that everything was "under control".

I'd like to tell you about the other children in my class but, aside from Elena, none will talk to me. Not unless they have a joke to make about my accent, because I'm still learning Spanish.

Then there's the headmistress's daughter, Gigli, whose real name is Graciela. Elena says the only one who calls Gigli by her full name is her mum.

Gigli was waiting by the side of the school entrance when Elena and I walked in on Monday morning. She looked right at me, with a smile that wasn't happy, and then she spoke to Elena. Gigli asked her: "Is that your BRAZILIAN?" like I'm this dumb and deaf, Godzilla-size nose booger, come to life. Then after lunch, Gigli stormed off while I was doing a Charlie Chaplin impression to her and Elena. I don't get it, Elena was in stitches, so I can't have been that bad.

I don't know where this is going but Gigli ignored me for the rest of the week and so did my other classmates, safe for Elena. I've never been in this situation before. Have you? Is this a bad sign? I asked dad and he just said "life!" Nona listened and said Gigli was probably used to being the centre of attention at her mom's school, where every kid sucks up to her. Then, during art class, Gigli props up this drawing she made, and it's entitled: "Elena and Zelia".

"Hey, that's me," I say to Gigli and she says: "I know that! This is how you and Elena met" and this picture has me and Elena standing like posts in the middle of the playground.

I don't know what it means.

I Love you

Zelia

Well, it looks like Gigli is having herself a wee jealousy party but what can Zelia do, as the new girl? 

Vote for Zelia not to feel intimidated by Gigli's tactics!