Part 24

Hi Mum,

I think I finally found a way in with Lola. The answer is...spooky stories! Yes, like the ones dad's step-mum used to tell us on Día de Los Muertos.

I chose to tell her a story that's a little silly, you see. Only because Lola is still squeamish about everything a grown-up would adore. So, it's the story of this goblin who lives in the garbage cans outside of people's homes. And this goblin is very irritable and gets outright nasty if you don't close the bins properly after you put your rubbish bags inside. Like, if the bin lid hasn't been put back right and there's a bit of it overlapping... or a gap that leaves the bin bags in the open air. If you do that, then the goblin comes out after you like a jack-in-a-box and that's when you get its full wrath.

Lola was so engrossed that she asked me follow-up questions like: were there many of these goblins or just the one from the story? 

I made sure to tell her multiple times that this was an invented story, not even based on something real, but that, yes, the story has this goblin living anywhere in the world...in any given bin with a lid.

She smiled and said it was super creepy and then she said we should hang out sometime and share more stories!

My 12th birthday is coming around and this could be it! Kisses!

Zelia

What was your favourite spooky story as a kid? Vote and share your story here!

Photo by Markus Spiske (Pexels)