16. I Am Iron Man

2008

2008

To say Mary was worried for her godson would be an understatement. She was terrified for him. When she received the call from Rhodey that Tony had been taken by a terrorist group, her heart plummeted. She didn't know how many days had passed since then. Her mind was in a fog. Howard and Maria entrusted their son to her as his godmother. She was suppose to protect him through everything and anything that would befall him. She had no one left in her life that was her family. Her husband had been long dead since World War two, same with her brother. And her daughter, her precious Becca, had been taken from her at the age of five in 1950. She only had Howard, Peggy and the Commandos left.

But soon, the Commandos started passing away. And then that left the three friends. But then Howard and Maria were killed in a car accident in 1991, and that left Tony in her care. The young twenty one year old soon took over his father's business, and improved it. But Mary saw potential for more than weapons in Stark Industries. But Tony never listened to her ideas. He was too focused on his company, the women, and the booze.

So there Mary sat as the helicopter flew in the air of the desert, looking for any signs of her godson. She tired to pay no mind to the blistering heat and scorchingly dry air, they were in Afghanistan alright. The war torn country hurt her heart, but there wasn't much she could do. Her eyes scanned the dunes for anything. When her hazel eyes spot a man waving his arms in the air to get their attention. "Hey!" The man yelled as he collapsed to his knees. Mary knew that voice. She knew that was her godson.

They had found Tony.

Rhodey and Mary leaded the other troops to where Tony was laying in the dunes, all of them shocked to see him. But thankful. Mary gripped her medical bag tightly as she raced to her godson, carefully taking him in her arms, "Tony!" She yells in relief, feeling as if weight had been lifted off her shoulders. "Oh, T! You're okay!" She shouts as she looks him over, making sure nothing was seriously wrong with her precious godson. Tony leans into his Mama Ree's embrace, he was finally home. Home within her arms that he grew up in. He was safe.

Rhodey stood behind Mary as he looked his best friend over, "How was the fun-vee?" He quips, causing Tony to chuckle. Mary snorts briefly. She remembered what Rhodey had said, that Tony wanted a vehicle to himself and away from Rhodey. But that ended up with him being taken captive. The best friend kneels beside Tony and Mary, his hand resting on his best friend's shoulder, "Next time you ride with me, okay?" He states. And Tony nods slowly, leaning into his best friend's embrace.

"Everything's okay now, you're safe, Tony." Mary states as she helps her godson stand up, "You're safe." She repeats herself, handing him a bottle of water from her medical bag, knowing he must be severely dehydrated. Tony nods slowly, wanting to speak but Mary stops him, "Don't speak right now, save it for when you're a little better. Then i want to know everything." She states.