10. Counting the Stars

ClassifiedDecember 29th, 1943

Classified
December 29th, 1943

Mary wakes up in her tent, looking around, seeing Steve sound asleep next to her, she looks at her clock, 3:45 am, it reads, she sighs, climbing out of her makeshift bed, she pulls on all her layers of clothing before her snow boots, then goes outside of her tent, looking up, seeing the stars, she smiles, counting five more, putting her at 367 since her and Bucky had gone steady in November.

She looks over, seeing Bucky on his shift of watching over the area, she decides to walk over to him, "Mind if i join you?" She asks him.

His head snaps upwards to look at her, he smiles a bit, nodding, "Of course, Doll." He states, Mary sits next to him, smiling, leaning into him for warmth, Bucky putting his arms around her. "Have you been counting the stars?" He asks her.

Mary nods, "Every time i'm outside at night."

"Good luck.. for later today.." She mutters, her head resting on his chest, she had given Howard a last minute addition outfit design, Bucky's. She had picked for him a deep blue jacket that would keep him warm, thick black pants and his combat boots. She surprised him with it when they left, and he was more than grateful.

"Thanks, Doll, i'm sure we'll need it." He replies, the conversation goes silent, both happy to be in each others presence, counting the stars like they have done every night since they departed from London to start the mission.

Mary thinks, smiling a bit, "What will we do when this is all over?" She asks him, "When the war is done."

Bucky thinks it over, trying to picture a future with the girl, it isn't hard for him to do, "We'll get married, and buy a nice house in the Brooklyn suburbs first." He starts, "One with a porch swing and a big tree in either the front or the back of the house for a tire swing." He paints a picture.

"I'll have taken a job as a mechanic at a car shop, you'll be a nurse in a local hospital, the best damn nurse in the state. I guarantee it."

Mary grins at the thought of the future Bucky is painting for them, "A tire swing for the kids, three of them, maybe more." She adds, "A boy first, then a girl, and then for the third i'd be happy with either." She states, "I want our boy to be protective of his little siblings."

Bucky smiles, trying to picture a mini Mary following her around a kitchen, helping her patch up someone they care about together, or a little him, opening the door for his Ma, getting into fights to protect his younger siblings from bullies.

"I like that. Maybe more if we want after the three." He suggests, Mary nods in agreement, "What are their names?" He asks.

"Steven for our boy, after Stevie of course." She states proudly, "Then Rebecca Sofia our precious little girl." She adds, "Then i'd let you pick for the third."

Bucky grins, happy with the choices Mary picked for their future children, then he ponders the name for their third baby, "Sarah after yours and Steve's Mother." He states, "If it's a boy, JJ, for James Junior."