09. The Right Partner

"Never scare me like that again, Steven Grant Rogers!" Mary exclaimed to Captain America as she, her brother, and her boyfriend walked out of the factory, making their way to meet up with all the other soldiers 80 yards past the main gate

Steve looks at her, he had jumped the chasm between him and his sister and best friend, all while explosions were going off below him. Mary had seen her brother be consumed by the fires below before he landed the jump.

He was singed and ash covered his face, but he was okay, and Mary was grateful for that.

As they walk, Mary stops them when they get to the rest of the troops. She looks at Steve, "I need to assess the troops." She states, "they probably have broken bones and cuts that could be infected, i should treat them."

Steve nods, "Go, do what you're best at, Lizzie." He states, smiling as she walks over to Bucky.

Her Sarge looks up at her, "I made it to one hundred and fifty nine stars." He states as Mary pulls out a small alcohol bottle and cotton rag she had stashed in her medical bag she brought with her.

She smiles, heat rising to her cheeks as she dabs a cut wound on his forehead, Bucky winces but Mary pays no mind to it, knowing it's a normal reaction to the alcohol, "One hundred and twenty three stars for me." She tells him.

"So in your letters, when you said someone was killed that you cared about, who was it? You never said their name." Bucky asks her, he internally regrets it the second he sees the look on her face, "I'm sorry.. you don't have to answer me."

Mary shakes her head, moving to stitch his hand after noticing a deep cut on it, "No.. it's alright." She mutters, "His name was Doctor Abraham Erskine.." she trails off.

"The doctor Schmidt mentioned?"

"The very same. While we were at Camp Lehigh for Steve's training, Erskine took me under his wing as his assistant and apprentice." She tells him, "He taught me the skills i'm using on you right now.. he also helped me by caring for me like a father.."

"Little Nurse.. i'm so sorry.." Bucky murmurs to her, seeing her shoulders start to shake, he pulls her down onto his lap after she finishes with his hand. He holds her tightly as she cries into his shoulder. He lets her cry, knowing she needs to let it out before it consumes her entirely.

"I promise you. On my life, that you will not lose anyone else that you care about. Not me, not Steve, not anyone else." He vows to his whole life.

Mary wipes her eyes with the sleeve of her jacket, smiling at him, "i'll hold you to that Sarge." She states.

"I'm counting on it Little Nurse." He teases, smirking.

He watches her stand up, regaining her composure, "i have to make my rounds to the other troops." She tells him, he nods, "After that i'm introducing you to some friends of mine." Bucky states back.