02. Write to me

Mary enjoyed getting dressed up, finding a nice dress to wear, styling her hair, putting her favorite lipstick on

Mary enjoyed getting dressed up, finding a nice dress to wear, styling her hair, putting her favorite lipstick on. She didn't do it often, how could she when her and Steve barely had enough money to pay rent on the tiny apartment they lived in. Money had always been tight, even before the siblings' Mother passed away, Mary thankfully made an impression on a small shopkeeper and she was offered a job. It didn't pay much, but it gave her and Steve some grounding, especially because Steve wasn't healthy enough to work in most places.

So Bucky telling her and Steve to look nice for wherever they were going had the young girl excited, finding her nicest dress to put on, she had paid for it out of the money she saved up for her and Steve when they needed it. The siblings had walked past a store, the older sibling noticed how his sister looked at the dress in the window, her expression clearly showed that she had no intention of buying it because of how tight they were on money

"You should get it." Steve suggested to his sister, the look of shock on her face evident on her features as she turned to look at him.

"You're joking, Stevie." She quipped back at him, not understanding why he would tell her to get the dress when she had good enough ones back home.

But the blue eyed boy shook his head, "I can see how much you want it, Mary, we have money saved up, i know it's mostly for food.. but you should get it, it'll make me happy to see you wear it." He tries to convince her, seeing her hazel eyes dart between the beautiful emerald green dress, then back at him.

Mary pondered Steve's words for quite some time, the money she had been saving up was for food and rent if they were ever in need of it; but Steve was telling her to spend something on herself, which she rarely did, the last time she did was when she had first paycheck, she went to the diner close by their apartment and bought dinner for her, Steve and Bucky.

"Alright. I'll take a look at it." She gives in, seeing the smile on Steve's face widen with glee for his sister, grabbing her hand, pulling her inside the dress shop.

Mary smiled as she recalled the memory of how she got her dress, she remembers showing Bucky, how he was at a loss for words when he saw her for the first time in it.

Steve looks at Bucky, "When will you ask Mary?" He blurts out to his best friend, shocking the man in question.

"What do you mean? Ask her what?" Bucky replied, clearly trying to avoid the conversation, he felt nervous for taking a liking to his best friends sister, but he couldn't stop himself even if he tried, and he had tried for too many years to get rid of those feelings towards the petite girl. Going on dates with random dames, never going further to pursue them as they were just a means for a distraction to Bucky, something to take his mind off the girl he had actually wanted to be with.

Steve shook his head, "I see the way you look at her, Buck, how can i not? You don't hide it very well." He informs him, chuckling, "She looks at you the same way. She's never once given another man the attention she gives to you."