Chapter 7

After a night that was eventful, to say the least, things finally come to an end as I glimpse the sunrise flicker through the open windows, the air chilling my bare skin. With Adrian lying next to me, I force myself to close my eyes, but sleep does not wrap its welcoming arms around me like it usually does. I am not used to sleeping with another next to me, especially a Celestial, and everything feels wrong; my guard is in shreds. And I let it become so shredded.

I promise myself that this was not for nothing, that everything I do has a purpose, a goal, and there is an end in sight.

I don't want to think about what happened between us last night. I am revolted by the thought of it all.

My head spinning and my instincts singing in my ears to run, I calm my racing heart and let the songbirds of summer lull me asleep.

~~~

The shining sun of mid-morning easily pulls me from my light sleep. My eyelids flit open as I remember my surroundings, and everything hits me at once. My heart speeds, my mind racing as I remember that I am in the royal castle, in Adrian's quarters. I am in the most dangerous place someone like me could ever set foot. A flash of heat hits me, then rushes away. I have everything under control. Right?

Wrong. A quick glance to my right confirms my suspicions: Adrian is gone. He probably thinks what happened between us was nothing, he probably does this all the time. I'm likely no one special to him. Yet. I can make this work. I need his information and fast. I want to get out of here as soon as I possibly can.

I sit up, pushing the blankets back and running my fingers through my knotted hair, and make a mental list of things I have to get done right now.

Number one: get some clothing because I currently have none. Two: Find food somewhere, it shouldn't be too hard, even though the grounds are so expansive. Three: Locate Adrian. I don't know what I'm going to do when this happens, but I'll figure it out when I get there. I just have to get out of bed first.

It's significantly harder than I thought it would be at first, though, since the silk sheets are so invitingly comfortable. I quickly hop down from the bed, wrapping a sheet around me should Adrian return while I search his room for something to wear. Within a few moments, I locate a set of double doors that open to a vast walk-in closet stuffed to the brim with various garments. Since I'd rather not don the same long dress from last night, currently in a pile on the floor, I grab a white t-shirt, strangely plain for a royal's wardrobe, and a pair of loose pants which I fold over multiple times before they fit around my waist.

Before I brave the halls, I grab my handbag and head into his bathroom again to reapply the cream on my back. Luckily, none smudged last night.

I have reached the tall doors that mark the entrance to Adrian's quarters and am about to push them open when they swing open into the hallway before I can touch the knob.

I smell the wondrous food before I see him. He stands in the hallway, seemingly even taller than before, his pale blue eyes crinkling in amusement as he chuckles... at me.

I pinch my eyebrows together, drawing an innocent smile across my face.

"What?" I pout.

He liked Lucia's girlish manner, so that's exactly what I'll give him.

He looks like he is struggling to contain his laughter as he pushes past me and carefully sets the tray of food on the bed.
He walks over to me, tousling my hair and planting a kiss on my head. This is not what I expected. Especially not from a Duke who recently left his fiance. I had assumed he only wanted a quick distraction—a fun night to take his mind off of things.