Chapter 17

"My Eternity, he made you go shopping?!"

I can't stop laughing. Neither can Lucia, sitting across from me at a small dining table, tucked into the corner of the atrium.

"I swear, this guy... does he even know anything about you?"

"I don't think he does—"

I start laughing uncontrollably again. It is funny—we barely know each other and he thinks that taking me shopping will please me, help him get to know me.

Our very relationship is quite amusing. I have forced myself to keep the stupid necklace he got me around my neck, marking myself as his. Lucia and I have been eating together each morning, and we are much more similar than I thought at first. While she seems like a typical, beautiful, and confident girl, she has a quiet thoughtfulness about her.

We both observe the world around us and desire to understand it, but while I am quiet and reserved, she is outspoken and self–confident.

What she says next surprises me, though.

"Anyway, I've decided to start taking self–defense classes in the city. I thought it would be a good idea to get into shape and be able to defend myself if I ever need to."

For a moment, I am speechless. I don't hide my pride for her.

"You've come so far after everything you've been through, tell me how it goes. I've taken some classes before, so I could show you some things if you want!"

Her excited smile lights up the room. Well, I haven't exactly taken classes, more like had real-life experience for a decade or so...

"So, tell me about Chandler! How have things been with you two?"

Lucia has finally felt comfortable enough to start courting again. I haven't met this guy yet, but he seems like he is everything Lucia is looking for—someone who truly cares about her as a person and wants her to be happy.

"We're doing really well, actually, I'm meeting him for lunch today, and, actually, we've been staying in his quarters here. I can finally leave the suite my parents are renting until they secure that deal with the royals about the land they want to buy here. Acilya, you won't believe how much of a sweetheart he is, yesterday, he brought me roses! When is the last time anyone brought their girl roses?"

I laugh, agreeing that he seems like a gentleman.

"And he's going to take me to the ball tomorrow—do you want to meet after lunch to get ready?"

I totally forgot.

There is a ball tomorrow in celebration of the lunar eclipse. Tomorrow.

"That sounds amazing. I definitely need advice on what to wear."

She hasn't brought up what she told me about Adrian, though. I still haven't stopped thinking about it. And the dungeons...

Lucia's girlish voice brings me out of my head.

"Hey, you have that look again. What's going on?"

I wince. I've only known her for about a month, but she already knows me so well.

"I don't know, just thinking... about life. So much has been going on lately and I've just been trying to work it all out."

She nods in understanding, pushing a loose strand of golden hair behind her ear.

"I'm sure you will, Acilya, you got this."

I smile. I don't have to force it around her. Her encouragement motivates me to keep going and stay focused on my goal. I'm so glad we've been getting closer lately—it's good to stick together when I can feel the danger looming around every corner.