Chapter 34

The Challenge is today.

Do I feel prepared? Maybe. A little bit.

Do I feel nervous? Definitely.

Waking up to Fallon's arms around me calms me down, though. I still haven't gotten used to it.

"You can still run away." Of course, Fallon only wants me to survive. I remember this instead of telling him that I am not a coward.

"I know." I need to do this one last thing. He killed my friend. I'm only giving him what he deserves.

"I believe in you." Those words are the only things I need to hear right now.

I turn around to face him, pulling the sheets higher. I'm not ready to get out of bed yet.

"What if I die? What if he kills me and you die, too, for nothing?"

He gives me a sad smile and shakes his head. I hadn't noticed that his hair has gotten much longer since I first met him. Now, if I mess it up, which I do before I let him respond, it falls over his eyes, brushing his cheeks.

Adorable.

"First, you are going to survive." He doesn't mention that us surviving means someone else is killed. I'm not sure if he is okay with that. "Second, it would not have been for nothing." He brushes his hair away. "Because I would have done everything I could to keep you alive. And you have done the same for me."

I shake my head.

"Maybe this was a mistake. I don't want to put you in danger."

He lazily runs his fingers through my hair. The gesture soothes me.

"I don't think it was a mistake at all."

I think of those words as I let the servants dress me for the Challenge, strapping leather armor over my chest and legs. Once I get into the arena, I will be reinforcing it with my armor, made from my powers. And Fallon's.

They tie my wrists and legs together, the chains clinking together as I walk.

Even though I hope to survive, I can't help feeling like I am being led to my death as they bring me toward the building which I know houses the arena.

I felt this way before when I witnessed that Challenge on my second day here.

This time it feels real. And it is. There is a very real possibility that Fallon and I will die today.

They open the doors on the side of the building, leading me into a long, dark room. Fallon stays, claiming he needs to re-check my outfit before he goes to his position outside the royal boxes far above.

"Acilya." I turn to him. He puts his hands on my shoulders. If this were any other situation, I would have melted under his touch and my heart would have swelled with love. Instead, I take a deep breath and calm my racing heart. My nerves have not gone away.

"You can do this, Acilya. Believe in yourself. Believe that you can win this. He killed your best friend. You have to be strong for her because she is not here to do this herself."

I nod. He's right. I swallow, but it's hard. I have a lump in my throat.

Because I know that we may never see each other again. No matter how much I tell myself that I will win, I know that Adrian has been training for this his entire life. It is just as possible, if not more likely, that he will kill me today. I may not get my way, for the first time in my life. I initiated a fight I may not win.

I do not want to say goodbye to Fallon. But he embraces me anyway and tells me that he believes in me.

When he finally pulls away and smiles at me one last time before leaving, I know that I have to win. Even if only for him.