Chapter 35

I walk out of the arena stunned.

So is the audience, or so I think. I stopped hearing them a while ago. The guard standing by the door on my side of the arena unlocks the door, then steps aside with wide eyes.

Of course, he never expected me to win.

A Night Angel hasn't won in years.

I am a few steps into the side room from which I entered the arena when I start to feel my injuries—the deep cut on my arm, the bruised ribs...

My body aches. I fall into the arms of a servant, and as I struggle to keep consciousness I recognize his scent.

Fallon.

"Hold on, Acilya, we're going to get you to a medic."

He leans down to my ear, his hair brushing my face.

"You did it. It's all over. You won."

I smile as the darkness takes over. I've exerted too much power, too much of my energy.

Things can't be this good for too long.

Of course, I'm always right.

I wake up in my room in the guest house, a nurse sitting in the armchair next to my bed. She springs from her seat when I open my eyes. Fallon is sitting on the bed next to me, concern and care shining in his rich caramel eyes.

"You're all patched up now, but given what happened all those years ago," My hand finds Fallon's even while I still stare at the nurse. "You should probably get out as soon as you can." She finishes packing up her healer's kit. I nod and she leaves the room. I sit up, carefully using my left arm to push my aching body up.

I turn to Fallon.

"Thank you," is all I can manage.

I hug him, tight. Like I won't ever let go. And he made it so that I will never have to. I bury my head in his neck, letting the tears that I have held back these weeks fall. He holds me tightly, the way I never knew I needed to be held.

He finally lets go, a sad smile on his face. I hadn't realized how tan his skin has gotten over these weeks of training. Even tear-stained, his face is so beautiful. The sparse freckles, the way he smiles...

I wonder if this is a dream.

But when Fallon tells me what I must do before I leave, I know that this is no dream.

The royals want to see me.

They want to crown me as the winner of the Challenge.

Right now. As soon as possible.

I try not to cry out in pain as I push myself off the bed and dress in a simple tunic and pants. I'm done looking good for these royals. Now that Adrian is gone, I feel no touch of sadness. I feel nothing. I feel satisfied because the person who hurt Lucia so much, then killed her, is gone from this world.

Fallon leads me into the atrium and waits at the door, looking straight ahead.

Nothing more than an obedient servant.

One that I could not live without. Both figuratively and literally.

I raise my chin and walk into the atrium to face Adrian's family.

The King stares down at me from his throne, his daughter at his side.

Adela smiles at me.

Smiles.

Something is very wrong.

The King begins to speak in his powerful, booming voice, echoing throughout the room.