Chapter 23

Gabriel had never ridden any faster in his life than when he raced away from the royal grounds. All he thought about, while he urged his horse to go faster and faster, was his family. He hoped they would be safe when he returned. He would return, he reassured himself. Even as so many guards took chase and he could see them rising over the horizon, coming after him, he kept believing it.

He wouldn't be able to stop at the city, lay low, and hide. He had to keep moving because he didn't know how much time he had. The royal legions could be invading his homeland that very moment and he would not know. This motivated him to push harder, urging his horse forward.

The city was approaching, closer and closer as Gabriel kept his speed. He raced through the suburbs, kicking up dust as his stallion ran faster, then city streets, hollering at pedestrians to clear the way. Eventually, he was able to put more distance between himself and the royal guards. He started actually believing that he could get away, that he would be able to return home safely. Little did he know, things would only get worse from there.

Gabriel Niehdre knew his horse was going to tire eventually. So, as he rode, he began planning where they would stop to rest. Ideally, they would be able to clear the city by noon and stop for a quick rest at the nearest town outside the city and suburbs. He could no longer see the guards chasing him, and he hoped that they had given up their chase, but knew better than to assume that it was true.

Time dragged on and Gabriel no longer had the same fear, the adrenaline rushing through him, since the danger was no longer imminent.

Before long, the city was behind them and Gabriel had officially begun his journey home. Although he was tired from riding for so long and the midday sun burned hot on his face, he kept riding because he knew he needed to get as far away from the royal grounds as he could.

He stopped in a small town several miles north of the city. He tied up his horse on the outskirts of the village, keeping the stone with him at all times. He valued it as though it was his life. He knew he needed food, since he ran out of most of what he had with him when he arrived at the royal grounds. He left the rest behind in his room. He wondered if the royals discovered that he escaped. He wondered if they suspected him. Either way, with his dramatic exit, Gabriel was sure that there would be more guards hunting him down soon enough.

The town was surprisingly quiet, with only a few houses surrounding the central market area. Even though it was the middle of the day, most shops and stands were closed. When he reached a lone fruit stand, he asked the vendor why the town was so quiet.

"We received word before sunrise this morning that a valuable weapon had been stolen from the royal grounds and to stay alert."

He glanced at Gabriel, bracing his hands on his table and arching his sparse eyebrows. The man made a point to look at him, observing his riding leathers and satchel.

"Look, I just need to get some food..."

The man shook his head, frowning.

"Sorry, no can do. I'm under strict orders—"

Gabriel placed one of the bundles of money from the royals, complete with the swirling golden seal, on the man's table. It looked like gold compared to his scrappy set up, covered in dirt and dust.

The man's eyes widened as he grabbed it, tearing it open as though he was afraid someone would take it away from him. His sharp inhale revealed to Gabriel that this was more money than this man had ever laid his eyes upon.

"So?"

The man looked up. Quickly nodded. "Take whatever you need, sir."

Gabriel smiled and filled his bags with whatever he could carry. This would surely be a long journey, but Gabriel was prepared.