Chapter 28

I don't know what happened. I don't know how I let this happen. I was supposed to find the stone, free my father, then kill Adrian, all before the marriage.

The marriage, which is happening today.

I didn't find the stone. Of course I didn't find the stone.

I didn't free my father because I didn't have the stone.

And I didn't kill Adrian because I didn't free my father.

This stupid gemstone is ruining my life. Actually ruining my life, since today I am binding my life to the person I want to kill. No, the person I need to kill. I won't let him get away with what he did. I won't forget what he did. And I most definitely will not forgive Adrian Olivier for what he did.

I can't help but feel despair and disappointment in myself.

I should have tried harder.

I should have—

I need to stop. I can't change the past.

Running along the beach, I savor the feeling of the salty wind in my unbound hair. I slow to a stop, collapsing on the sand and gazing up at the bright blue sky, squinting my eyes against the sun. The clouds are puffy today. I can't remember the last time I paused to take it all in, stopped thinking about everything I have to do; everything I haven't done, and just admired this beautiful world. It doesn't last long.

Thunder sounds in the distance, a soft rumble, and I push myself up to gaze out over the sea. Sure enough, dark clouds linger in the distance. It's time to head back. I climb the stairs and slam into a servant, sending their tray of drinks flying. I am about to apologize when I remember what Lucia told me about acknowledging servants. Funny that my only friend is one.

Speaking of Fallon, I see him standing across from me on the patio, on the other side of the toppled servant, biting his lip to restrain his laughter. I gingerly step over the puddles of whatever alcoholic concoctions are served here.

"Can I interest you in a glass of berry juice on the beach?"

His stoic expression does not last long, and he smirks at his own joke. Of course, he's remembering the last time I asked him to deliver berry juice, which led to a lot of blood and a mangled hand.

A mangled hand that still hasn't healed, though it's been more than a week. I've gotten used to the bandage, though, but the lack of mobility in my fingers is driving me insane. I wake up each morning, trying to bend my fingers without them shaking, resisting my commands. I'm sure my cat thinks I'm insane.

I nod for the juice, turning around to go back down the stairs leading to the beach. I've gotten used to the cliffs that once took my breath away. I walk, letting my toes plunge into the sand. Before long, I reach the half–cave set into the cliffs where we met to talk that one time. It feels like it was years ago rather than a couple of months.

Within a few minutes, Fallon arrives.

"I'm sorry. I should have told you, Acilya."

I have never seen his face filled with such regret.

"It's fine, Fallon. Of course, I'm not happy that you kept it from me, but..."

I bite my lip.

"It's fine." I say it even if it may not be entirely true.

He nods, but he doesn't look convinced. I give him a tentative smile.

Seeing him smile at me is like a breath of fresh air. I missed having him around. I missed looking into his caramel eyes.