Chapter 10

Dinner passes by quickly.

The talking, the congratulating, for what I don't pay much attention to, but the food certainly impresses me once again. It is exquisite. I have never tasted anything as mouthwateringly fresh and so delicately spiced—

Sometimes I wonder if I should have eaten more food from those wealthy countrymen's houses. I'm sure if I ate this food my entire life I would live twice as long. And that reminds me—these Celestials are destined to live for as long as they please—until they tire of the food and the dances and the life here. Nothing like what my life will be—short and hard.

Before long, dessert is set before me and I try not to let anyone see my surprise at the ornate dish. A slice of pie, overflowing with berries I'm sure are wild and fresh. The taste explodes in my mouth like lightning—I have never tried anything like it. Maybe I could get used to this...

But I need to focus. I must focus on finding the Eternity-damned stone and finding those killers. They might not even be on the royal grounds, but this is a good starting point to find out who killed them.

"Acilya...?"

I blink.

"Sorry, I wasn't paying attention, the food is so good!"

I guess it's partially true. Adrian smiles.

"I was just saying that whenever you're ready, we can head over to the bar."

Oh, yes. Right. Drinks with his extremely attractive cousins.

"Sounds good—I'm ready to leave now if you are."

More like ready to go back and keep searching the rooms for my lost possession, but either way, I guess. I hadn't realized that the King already left. He stands, refusing to acknowledge the servants, and his cousins follow suit. We filter out of the dining room, now darker thanks to the setting sun. The dim light of dusk illuminates the way through the halls, aided by the torches set into the ancient sandstone walls.

"Congrats on that trade deal, your father really made a big deal out of it, huh?"

The boys flank Adrian, pushing me out to the side.

"Yeah, I got them to lower their prices for our grain imports. You know how their stuff is like a delicacy out there."

I don't understand how they are making such a big deal out of a trade deal. Aren't they all super-rich anyway? Harlow chimes in, offering his congratulations.

"Aw... our baby Adie is growing up..."

He pouts, resulting in a playful shove from Adrian. Judging by their maturity, I would have never guessed that Adrian's cousins are older than he is. He explains the age difference to me, claiming that though they don't act it, they are both five years older than he is. Adrian is barely a "baby" in comparison. Speaking of age, I never learned "baby Adie's" age.

"Don't you have to be a full adult, like at least 21, to manage trading for an entire kingdom?"

He laughs like he has been managing trades for the entire kingdom his whole life.

"Well first, I'm the previous Duke's son, and second, my birthday is in a couple of months."

There's my answer—he's twenty, which means he's at least a few years older than I am. I've been so confused with all the titles that I can't help but ask.

"What do you mean, 'Duke'? Shouldn't he be the King since he's your sole ruler?"

They exchange a glance that worries me. Adrian answers my question after a beat of silence.